Fading Gumpaste

Decorating By cariage Updated 17 May 2008 , 5:52am by cariage

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 6

I am new to gumpaste and I made 2 grad. caps several days in advance so that I wouldn't be so rushed. After only 24 hours the red had turned orange and the black had turned gray. And it just keeps getting worse the longer they sit out. Why is it doing this and how do I stop it? I used the wilton premade gumpaste (just because of the time factor) and americolor coloring.
TIA

5 replies
jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 6

I don't have an answer for you, icon_sad.gif but I too just had that happen to me, I also used the wilton gumpaste and also the wilton colors and they started pink and eventually faded to almost white...

I am curious to see if anyone has an explanation for this icon_confused.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 6

This happened to some mauve roses I made using the Wilton gumpaste. They were a beautiful dark mauve and COMPLETELY faded to white. I was so disapointed - lesson learned.

I made a whole second set and totally kept them out of the light, even while drying (I kept them covered with a layer of paper towel up high on my cabinets, then stored them completely wrapped in paper towels in plastic containers until I was ready to use them after they dried. They didn't fade that way but seem to fade REALLY fast if kept out in the light, even indirect light.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 6

Light is very bad for colors. It can help to repair the color to use petal dust on the outide

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 6

Most colored gum pastes and fondant will fade in direct light. It's the nature of the dyes and has nothing to do with the gum paste recipe.

You can inhibit the fading by using ChefMaster no-fade colors (I know about their pink & purple, but don't know if they have others), and by keeping everything covered in opaque materials (black or blue trash bags work very well) as long as possible.

I also find that things dusted with luster dust don't fade much after dusting, so I often give things a quick hit with some dry super pearl.

You can paint your dry creations with luster dust, petal dust, or gel/paste colors, if you want to revive the color.

HTH
Rae

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 17 May 2008 , 5:52am
post #6 of 6

thanks for the replies. I am going to try painting with luster dust. I tried spraying them with color mist and it would have worked if it wasn't splotchy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%