Poeple Reaction To Appointments...

Business By Solecito Updated 15 May 2008 , 11:06pm by Solecito

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 6

This sounds strage even to me. Lately I've had some people call me for info and wanting to come see my portfolio, but when I tell them it's by appoinment only, they are very surprised. You see, I'm home based and I still go deliver/pick up kids from school and go on earrands and I like to have a schedule for seeing people. I don't like them calling at 10:00 pm or something, and I sure don't want them coming that late either. I don't even shcedule appointments for the weekend because my house it's just caos with cake deliveries and baking and stuff.

My husband says it's beacuse people in Mexico are not used to appointments, but I tell him How about beauty salons, or doctors offices etc. I feel it's because I'm at home.
So I was wondering anyone has these problems? Or can it be it's a mexican thing???
Any suggestions on how to handle it???
TIA

5 replies
deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 6

I work by appointment only. I've never had any problems. They call, and we work out a convenient time for both them AND me.

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 6

Well being an American of Mexican descent (sp?), I can say that for the most part they are not used to a set time for anything! If you tell them that a party starts at 1 they'll show up at 5...or later! It's just they're way of doing things I guess so you'll have to be firm about your appointment times. Good luck!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 6

Let them know it's for their own good - you can have everything ready for them, you will not be busy w/ anything else, and it's a covenient time for them. Make them see it's to their advantage. good luck!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun

Let them know it's for their own good - you can have everything ready for them, you will not be busy w/ anything else, and it's a covenient time for them. Make them see it's to their advantage. good luck!

Agree. Do they really think you have food/cake just sitting around hoping someone will drop in to sample it?? icon_confused.gif

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:06pm
post #6 of 6

I do try to make it like it's for their advantage, it's for both parties actually not just for me, but they still act surprised.
Reading indydebi's post I just realised may be people are used to go a bakery where everything is ready, and even there I don't think they are going to cut a piece of cake for customers to sample. Maybe I just have to stick to my guns (is this the right thing to say?) and make them understand that I do consultaitions only by appointment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%