Yummy But Not Shiny Fondant?

Decorating By andromedaslove Updated 15 May 2008 , 8:30pm by andromedaslove

andromedaslove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andromedaslove Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 5

Ok... the other day I made my first cake using fondant. I made a cake for the Teacher's Appreciation Luncheon at my son's school. I used a recipe for a MMF with chocolate chips, because I really wanted the fondant to taste good too, and I had heard so many stories about people hating the way that fondant in general tastes. When I went to get the cake pan back yesterday everyone was raving about the cake, which of course makes a girl feel good. icon_biggrin.gif

My next project isn't really due for another month, but I am trying to get as much knowledge as I can before hand to make these cakes come out wonderful too. The fondant needs to be flesh toned, along with some other colors (red, black, white, purple, teal) and they can't be "shiny" like the MMF was for the cake I made the other day. Any ideas?

4 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 5

I use choc-0-pan and it is delicious and not shiny. You can get it from global sugar art and I think it's on sale right now.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 5

I use Satin Ice and get it from www.IntoTheOven.com . Definitely not shiny either, but tastes yummy!

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 5

I always use Rhonda's MMF recipe and I never have a problem with it being shiny.. and you can use all kinds of combinations of extracts to make it taste really yummy.

andromedaslove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andromedaslove Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:30pm
post #5 of 5

Ya know?! I probably should have looked a bit more before asking this question. Ever since I posted it I have been scouring the gallery looking for pictures of cakes that used MMF. (It would have been faster if I had thought to type MMF in the search engine, duh!) Now that I did that I have found quite a few pictures of cakes that had MMF and they don't appear to be that shiny after all. It looks as if I can still use the MMF after all. Thank you guys so much for your responses. I have fallen in LOVE with this site, with all of the info and all of you being so willing to help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%