Is This To High??

Business By Batter-UpBakery Updated 16 May 2008 , 12:50pm by HerBoudoir

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:38pm
post #1 of 15

Ok I am trying to come up with some prices for when I go into business. I am think around 1.50 serving for BC and 2.00 or 2.25 for fondant. there are no other bakeries other than walmart and brookhires (grocery store) to compare to so im not sure if thats too high or not. I know you can get what looks like an 11x15 at walmart for around 23.00 but according to my price figured at wiltons serving sizes, which im not sure about using, this size cake would cost 90.00 with BC. is it just me or does that seem high?? I dont want to be either to cheap or to expensive. Any thoughts

14 replies
SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 15

You'll never make any money with those prices! Sorry to be so blunt, but why beat around the bush??? My BC starts at $3 per serving and fondant starts at $4.25 per serving. Why compare your cake prices to Walmart and the grocery store....they are NOT your competition....

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 15

That seems WAY cheap to me for a custom made cake.

You have to remember you are not making WM style cakes. You are making a custom cake made to their specifications and your cake is FRESH not frozen.

I always tell people that say I'm to high and WM is cheaper. Walmart is NOT my competition because WM doesn't make 3d scuplted cakes nor do they offer delivery and WM will NOT make your cake near as pretty or as elegant as I can do. You just have to believe in yourself and your work.

Don't sell yourself short. I'd rather make one cake for $300 verses several at one time to make the same amount of money.

If you sell at WM prices you are going to get burnt out. Yes some will turn away but you will also find high end clientel that will appreciate what you have to offer.

Batter-UpBakery Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 15

Thats what I keep telling myself. Its good to be blunt lol. Ok well i dont feel to expensive anymore. I will have to sit down and rethink my prices some more. Thanks icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 15

I picked up a new phrase to use from a fellow CC'er just the other day.

It is GOOD to tell people, "yeah....some people can't afford me!" icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

Batter-UpBakery Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 15

Ok so i refigured my costs and so forth and here is what I came up with, 3.00 ser. in bc 4.00 ser. in fondant and any fillings other than bc and anything else will be extra. I wasnt thinking about the kitchen rental earlier when i figured up the first price. Man am i glad i posted this lol

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhitman18

Ok so i refigured my costs and so forth and here is what I came up with, 3.00 ser. in bc 4.00 ser. in fondant and any fillings other than bc and anything else will be extra. I wasnt thinking about the kitchen rental earlier when i figured up the first price. Man am i glad i posted this lol

thumbs_up.gif

Batter-UpBakery Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks Again icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:34pm
post #9 of 15

when i first started and lacked experience, i charged $2.50 for BC and $3.00 for fondant. now i have a bit more experience and charge $3.00 for BC and $3.50 for fondant.

cupcakes start at $2.00 for it plain, add .50 for filling and .50 for a decorative accent. if they want it in an individual gift box then add .50.

i think you need to charge MORE! you're not trying to compete with WM are you? if you're the only one in your area doing this then give your customers the option, WM or something more custom.

ashley

Batter-UpBakery Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:44pm
post #10 of 15

thanks mom42ws you are right. I will be the only bakery in my area so...

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:45pm
post #11 of 15

Great advice.

I'm about to raise my prices (I currently charge $4-$5 per serving).

It just dawned on me as I was crumb-coating a few minutes ago that one reason fondant is more expensive is because you have to use both BC and fondant... I'm rambing... icon_rolleyes.gif

Batter-UpBakery Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:49pm
post #12 of 15

I know thats why I would charge more for fondant, I am just starting so maybe later if I need to i can raise my prices.

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:05am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyhitman18

Ok I am trying to come up with some prices for when I go into business. I am think around 1.50 serving for BC and 2.00 or 2.25 for fondant. there are no other bakeries other than walmart and brookhires (grocery store) to compare to so im not sure if thats too high or not. I know you can get what looks like an 11x15 at walmart for around 23.00 but according to my price figured at wiltons serving sizes, which im not sure about using, this size cake would cost 90.00 with BC. is it just me or does that seem high?? I dont want to be either to cheap or to expensive. Any thoughts

Just FYI about the Wilton serving chart, make sure you're comparing apples to apples when it comes to serving size. The Wilton chart says an 11x15 will serve 60, but that's based on a 2 layer cake (total 4 inches high). The sheet cakes at WalMart are single layer. If your 11x15 sheet cake is a single layer, then it will serve half what the Wilton chart says.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to bring your price down to be competitive with WalMart, I just wanted to make sure you were accurate with your serving count. I'd hate for you to bake a cake for someone and tell them it would serve twice as much as it really would just because of confusion over the serving chart.

(Also FYI, after reading indydebi's explanation of figuring up number of servings for square and rectangle cakes a while back, I believe that an 11x15 single layer feeds 35.)

Batter-UpBakery Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:09am
post #14 of 15

Thanks, all of my cakes will be atleast two layers. I know its just my preference but I like a nice thick cake. And of coarse if a person wanted a single layer i would make sure to price it right. Thanks for pointing that out though.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:50pm
post #15 of 15

Where do you get individual cupcake boxes for only 50 cents each?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%