"crazy Prices" Lol

Business By Kitagrl Updated 20 May 2008 , 4:43pm by ccr03

Kitagrl Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 21

So once in awhile I put an ad on CL...due to having four young boys I haven't figured out all the networking and stuff to do to REALLY get my licensed business going (although I generally have orders every week, I want MORE because I'm not booked every week).

Anyway so I put two ads on CL and the very next cake ad posted after my ad:

My work speaks for itself... weekly slots are limited as I do this on my own from my licensed and insured kitchen, so book your date early!

See my website: Cakes by Suzy

Remember...A good cake isn't cheap, and cheap cakes aren't good! Check out my testimonials, including some corporate clients.

Quote:
Quote:

Dont pay insane prices for the new trendy fondant covered cakes.

Make your cake a showpiece to match your invitations, dress, theme, colors, etc.

BUT DO NOT PAY THOSE CRAZY PRICES

tell me what you have in mind or show me pics of your perfect cake and I will create it for MUCH LESS than others!

hope to work with you soon!

I just have to laugh...I'm tempted to respond to the ad! I hope its nobody on CC but if it is....I'm posting this anyway because its so funny! And I don't think anyone on here would post such a thing on CL. Obviously some competition, eh?

20 replies
jonicca Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 21

Wow, that's really bold! Not to mention confrontational. I think that approach would turn me off as a consumer. I want you to make me believe that you are great without knocking down the competition. Don't even dignify it with a response. What's CL by the way? icon_redface.gif

CeeTee Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 21

CL = Craigslist. It's Pennysaver for the digital age.

Tho, if the lady wants to be the local charity and give away her cakes, that's her business. But it's still really tacky of her to post that.

cocorum21 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 21

Just post another ad tomorrow and all it should say is(in all CAPS)

MY WORK SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. www. cakes by suzy . com icon_twisted.gif

kelleym Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

Dont pay insane prices for the new trendy fondant covered cakes.

These young whippersnappers with their crazy newfangled fondant cakes!

For those of you who have watched (and loved) Strictly Ballroom, doesn't this remind you of the judges frothing at the mouth? "No new steps! No flashy, crowd-pleasing moves!"

cocorum21 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #6 of 21

And then the next day post an ad that says

ALL OF MY CAKES ARE ORIGINAL DESIGNS

I DON'T HAVE TO COPY icon_evil.gif

I'm in a mood, can't you tell

CakeMommyTX Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 21

Wow , maybe you should post another ad.....

Don't Pay for quality...it's over rated anyways!!!!

It's just cake and you're going to poop it out tomorrow anyways , so let me make you a cheap cake at cheap prices!!!

I will even throw in a random hair at no extra charge.

Place your order today and I will slap it together and freeze it for you until next month (freezing at no additional charge)

visit my website at www. cheapnastycake.com thumbs_up.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:23pm
post #8 of 21

OMG you guys are too funny!

Has anyone gotten any business from CL? Sometimes there are some nasty things on there and I don't know if I want to be associated with them.

sassycleo Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 21

Ok so out of curiosity as I'm from your area (I miss home!) I went and checked out her website. I have to say that the prices aren't cheap at all!

Tasting cakes are $25

Most other cakes are $3-$10/svg with a min of 25svgs.
3D's $4-$7/svg

I believe this might be a member of CC. There is a nursery rhyme cake that is painted and very nicely well done and I think I've seen that here on CC in the past.

While I believe the CL ad to be a bit crass it definitely doesn't speak the truth on the pricing.

One thing I would check before totally coming down on this person is who actually does the ad placement. This ad may have been placed totally unaware of your existing ad so they may not be "at fault"

Alicia

MichelleM77 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 21

wait, i'm confused. Cakes by Suzy is kitagirl, right?

Marzbar71 Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Quote:

A good cake isn't cheap, and cheap cakes aren't good!

I gotta admit, while the ad after yours is kind of rude, this phrase would turn me off.

It's like saying if someone gets a cake from Walmart they must not know anything about cake. Sometimes a cake from Walmart is what someone wants and that's fine. Not everyone needs or wants a custom carved, 3-D, custom flavored cake.

I've had Walmart cake and I've had custom baked cakes and I've enjoyed both of them for what they are.

sassycleo Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 21

Michelle so am I but I guess that's what I get for sneaking onto CC during the day while I"m at work and supposed to be working....LOL

I probably looked at the wrong site... icon_surprised.gif

MichelleM77 Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:29pm
post #13 of 21

Me too! I work at home and when my work is slow, I tend to creep on way too much!

Erdica Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:36am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

Wow , maybe you should post another ad.....

Don't Pay for quality...it's over rated anyways!!!!

It's just cake and you're going to poop it out tomorrow anyways , so let me make you a cheap cake at cheap prices!!!

I will even throw in a random hair at no extra charge.

Place your order today and I will slap it together and freeze it for you until next month (freezing at no additional charge)

visit my website at www. cheapnastycake.com thumbs_up.gif

That is AWESOME!!! DH and I were laughing so hard. I love it!

sweetcakes Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:25am
post #15 of 21

i always check out the cake ads on CL too, it drives me nuts that people sell them for so cheap. so i posted an add with a picture and said if your looking for a cheap cake dont contact me, if your looking for a one of a kind, original, quality made custom cake then contact me., although i didn;t get any enquiries i did get a couple of emails from people wishing i could do their cake but i was not in their area.

costumeczar Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:46pm
post #16 of 21

Kellym, I loved Strictly Ballroom...I have to get that and watch it again! The part where the kid did the flamenco dance for the girl's father was priceless.

What category on Craig's List are cakes sold under? I went to my local one and couldn't figure out what category they'd be in.

Tellis12 Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:34pm
post #17 of 21

Cakes by Suzy is kitagrl. And kitagrl, your cakes are awesome! I love your website too. It looks great.

Most people post cakes on Craigslist under services

Auryn Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:07pm
post #18 of 21

isnt it contradictory that the person who wrote the ad says "cheap cakes arent good"
and then goes on to profess that their cakes are cheaper cause u wont pay 'crazy prices'???

Laura102777 Posted 18 May 2008 , 4:49am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

isnt it contradictory that the person who wrote the ad says "cheap cakes arent good"
and then goes on to profess that their cakes are cheaper cause u wont pay 'crazy prices'???

If I understand correctly, the person that wrote the original ad (Kitagirl)said "cheap cakes aren't good", and this other person wrote that you shouldn't pay (Kitagirl's) "crazy prices".

mamacc Posted 20 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #20 of 21

She's really not doing herself any favors. That ad would totally be a turn off for me. Plus, she's describing fondant cakes as "new and trendy"!!! There's a heck of a lot of people out there right now looking for "new and trendy"....

ccr03 Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:43pm
post #21 of 21

Auryn - I was confused too! But Laura10277 has got it right!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%