Condensation On Fondant

Decorating By staceyboots Updated 16 May 2008 , 12:35am by kakeladi

staceyboots Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #1 of 3

I know that this topic has been discussed many times before, but how do you guys prevent condensation from forming on your covered cakes? Or better yet, how do you dry your cakes after condensation has formed?

I read somewhere that dusting the cakes with powdered sugar before applying the fondant will soak up the moisture. Does that work?

The reason I am asking is that I am using Toba Garrett's Spackle Paste method where you apply a layer of the spackle paste over the entire cake and store it overnight in the refrigerator. The cake is then covered with fondant while it is still cold. However, I always end up with a lot of condensation on my cakes.

BTW, the spackle paste is a mixture of cake crumbs, buttercream and jam / preserves and it gives the cake an extremely smooth surface.

2 replies
staceyboots Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 3

Oh...what's a "blowout"?

kakeladi Posted 16 May 2008 , 12:35am
post #3 of 3

If hyou just leave the cake sit until it comes to room temp the condensation will disappear w/o problems.
A blowout is a huge bubble that forms under the fondant (and sometimes b'cream!). YOu use a hat pin to prick it from underneat and push out the air that has formed. Usually it won't show after treatmenticon_smile.gif Otherwise, hopefully you can cover it w/decorations.

Quote by @%username% on %date%