Will This Substitution Work??

Baking By Lenette Updated 15 May 2008 , 8:48pm by peanut123

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 5

I just had a bride request almond cake, I have never made it. I bake only from scratch.

Can I sub part almond flour for cake flour in my recipe?

I googled but all the recipes I found so far call for almond paste which is expensive. I was hoping the flour would be an option. TIA!

4 replies
doodleism Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodleism Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:37pm
post #2 of 5

I've used almond flour before. Mine said on the bag how much flour you should substitute with the almond flour in a recipe. I can't remember which brand I used, though.

Another idea is to use almond oil for some or all of your butter. You would have to make allowances for the fluid balance in your recipe, since oil is 100% fat and butter is only 80% fat or so. But the flavor enhancement might be worth the math.

You could also sub a little of the liquid with some amaretto, and/or use almond extract.

Let us know how it turns out...

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 5

Oooo, those are great ideas! Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

tippyad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tippyad Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 5

Have you ever tried the WASC? It's a great dense moist white cake. Yum. Good luck!

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 5

I take it that you want to stay with a âscratchâ cake.

Yes, you can use some almond meal/flour to replace some of the wheat flour in your cake.

The bag of Bobâs Red Mill almond meal/flour indicates a substitution of 1/4-cup almond meal/flour per cup of wheat flour called for in your recipe.

The cake will be more dense and moister than without the almond meal/flour.

As doodleism suggested, it may be better to add almond oil/extract or something else with a strong almond flavor and stay with your normal recipe.

The strong almond taste/flavor comes from Bitter Almonds. These almonds are not sold in flour form in the USA because they contain lots of hydrogen cyanide. They are used in the oils/extracts.

The almond meal/flour is made from Sweet Almonds that have a much milder flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%