How Should I Do This Cake? Suggestions, Please

Decorating By Sugar_Plum_Fairy Updated 16 May 2008 , 4:56am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 15 May 2008 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 6

I need to do a sheet cake for an elementary school reunion. I know the "design", but need ideas on execution.

I need to put an edible image on the top - no problem, but the sides are to be painted with a plaid pattern to match the uniform worn way back when. Of course I want the sides fondant upon which to paint, but should I cover the whole cake in fondant or just wrap the fondant around the sides of the cake? Will it hold up if I just wrap? I know I can do an edible image on fondant, but I also know it doesn't look as nice as when it's applied to bc.

P.S. I'm also stacking a smaller cake on top (to one side) to look like a notebook. Just FYI. The ed. image will take up the rest of the top of the cake.

Thanks.

5 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 May 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 6

I would just wrap it around the sides........I wrapped it around a wedding cake and it stuck just fine!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much. I'm glad to hear that you've actually done it before (and that it worked! icon_wink.gif ).

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 6

You could even do edible image for the plaid and wrap it around the cake. It would be less time consuming.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 6

I was thnking the same thing as Tiggy when I read the descripton of the cake. Alot faster/easier than applying and painting fondant.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:56am
post #6 of 6

Thanks, tiggy and doitallmom. I actually just finished doing about an hour's worth of copying and pasting and have finally gotten the pattern put together as best I can for the sides.

The idea hit me when I was talking it over with my husband and trying to get to this post, but couldn't get connected to CC. All of a sudden the lightbulb went on above my head and I was like, "Hey, I'll just do an edible image on the sides instead of painting it!"

Great minds think alike (at least they come to the same final thought, the process; that's a bit different! Mine is usually lolligagging through mud!!)
icon_lol.gif

Now I've just gotta check a couple of other things and then go connect my printer! One less thing to worry about! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%