Anyone Make Their Own Wedding Cake?

Decorating By cakeryluv Updated 18 May 2008 , 3:41am by bigmama1961

cakeryluv Posted 15 May 2008 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 21

Ok, my "official" engagement is coming soon (we have been together for 8 years and just need to save up for the ring!). We've been doing lots of wedding talk recently and it got me to thinking...who am I going to trust to make my cake for me?!

I'm considering doing it myself, because I'm a bit icon_rolleyes.gif of an anal, obsessive control freak ( icon_biggrin.gif ) but I also know because of my control-freakishness, that I'm going to be plenty busy making sure everything else is perfect, and I don't know if I'll have time. Plus, I'm super critical of my work and I have a fear of ending up frustrated and tossing the whole works in the garbage can. icon_biggrin.gif

So for those of you who have gotten married while being a current decorator, have any of you made your own wedding cakes? How long in advance did you start? Was it a success or have any horror stories?

If you've gone to another bakery, were you extra critical of their work? Were you happy with the end result?

20 replies
awolf24 Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 21

I would advise NOT to make your own cake. Your own wedding will be busy enough without the added stress of doing the cake and the cake will be SUPER time consuming. I think you are better off going with a decorator that you are comfortable with and don't worry about it. Enjoy your day, don't give yourself any reason to incur more stress about it!

As you admitted yourself that you may have some control issues, I would try to look at it that you are taking control of the situation by finding someone else to worry about the cake FOR you.

That being said, no, I was not 100% happy with our wedding cake design (I thought I was specific enough but apparently not) but it was beautiful and tasted amazing. Looking back, I am still 100% happy that I had nothing to do with preparing it. icon_smile.gif I had a FANTASTIC time at my wedding without having to worry about the cake. You'll be too busy with rehearsal dinner, packing for your honeymoon, guests in from out of town, getting hair, makeup, nails done, etc...

jenbakescakes Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 21

Hey there! I have to say that I made my own wedding cake and if I had to do it over again, I think I would have someone else do it! There is just way too much stuff to do that day before and the day of. I made all of my decorations, favors, centerpieces, etc. and we were at the venue the night before till later than expected setting up stuff so I didn't get home til late, then I still had to decorate! I ended up being up until 3 or 4 in the morning, which everyone will tell you, it's a good idea to get a good night sleep before, cause you WILL be exhausted the next day! I was so tired when I was decorating that I originally put the topper on the bottom tier! lol...My suggestion, let someone else be pulling their hair out and staying up till 4 am the night before and if you REALLY want to do it yourself, choose a simple design that you can make a lot of things before hand. I did over 300 rose petals a week or so before. Good luck and congrats!!

kendi25 Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 21

Though I had a very elegant and tasty wedding cake - I wish I would have known more about cake decorating to have done my own cake. I think it is just so much more intimate and meaningful. I would say - if you have mmost of your wedding deatils in order and people - bridal party awaure of their tasks and accept the responsibilty - go for it. You sure can do it.

All the best

Babarooskie Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 21

Hi There!

I'm getting married pretty soon and I've thought about making my wedding cake...BUT then I snapped back to reality! LOL I will be too busy with everything else, that I know I will not be getting any sleep. And the last thing I want to do is fall asleep at my wedding!

I'm going with a professional cake decorator for it. Will I be very picky and a little "anal"?? YES! LOL Will I request flavors and fillings that they've probably never made before?? YES!
I just know that I won't be able to pull it off myself... I recommend that you don't.

buttercup212215 Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 21

i actually made my own wedding was 3 tiers high and i had fresh flowers on my cake.i did all the prep work a week before my wedding made icing and refrigerated and baked and froze the cakes. i actually iced my cake the day before my wedding and put the fresh flowers on the day of the wedding.

tracycakes Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #7 of 21

At the time I got married, I was making a lot of cakes and had made several wedding cakes. When others asked me if I was making my own cake, my answer was "No way". I always stayed up all night the night before decorating a wedding cake and I would get too stressed out. There was a cake decorator that made wonderful cakes and when I went to her, I knew exactly what I wanted. Mine was a simple 3-tiered stacked cake with cornelli lace and fresh flowers but I didn't want to have that stress added. I was extremely happy that I had someone else do it.

Best Wishes on what you decide to do and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

ericaann79 Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 21

I just got married on April 5th and I had the same dilemma...CONGRATS by the way on your engagement! A couple months before the wedding I made a 4 tier mock wedding cake just to see how long and how stressful it would be to do the day before the wedding...but you have to remember I didn't have any of the other stress that comes along with a bridesmaid showing up late and running up in the middle of your ceremony! Anyway...a little venting there..but a month before the wedding I decided to go with a girl that is just starting her business because I could not fathom the idea of paying $900 for a cake I could do myself...I paid her $450 for a 4 tier cake...a steal here in the Bay Area...Yes, I was critical of her work and yes I could have done it just as good or better, but you know, it is just cake and all of your guests that come are not decorators so they won't see the imperfections that you see. To balance it I did a 3 tier groom's cake that kind of stole the show is in my photos...I would get someone else to do if for you .... just worry about being the Bride!

LNW Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #9 of 21

I made my own wedding cake. It was the first cake Iâd ever made, pretty lofty goal there. I remember going on to ask for help and several of the ladies there were RUDE. Some of them refused to answer my questions and repeatedly told me what an awful decision Iâd made and I would regret it later. Well I made a 4 tier stacked cake, with basket weave (I learned to do that by watching a Martha wedding special on foodTV) on all tiers and fresh flowers around the outside space of each layer. The cake was perfect and I was super proud. I didnât have any equipment so I had to buy everything including pans and such. I spent a total of $83. Iâm so happy I made my own cake. When I show people pictures I can totally brag that I did that and it was the very first cake Iâd ever done. And I went back to and posted a picture of my âsure to failâ cake and I made sure to rub it in the faces of all those ladies who told me I could never pull it off.

As for the stress factor, I busted that cake out in one day. I was even late getting to the church but I still got all four tiers assembled and placed all the flowers in less than 10 minutes. The only thing I didnât do was cut and serve the cake myself. We had a friend do that for us.

If you really want to do it yourself I say go for it. I couldnât have afforded to pay someone to make my cake but I still wanted a big spectacular cake. Thatâs why I did it myself (I also did all my own flowers, wedding decorations, made my own candles etc. Basically I made everything but my dress and the tuxes). And in my case it worked out great. But I didnât have a huge wedding with tons of guests or anything like that either. So I didnât have a lot of stuff to stress over that brides who have a big wedding have. If Iâd had the money to have a big wedding I would have paid someone else to make my cake for me though.

SugarMama602 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:08pm
post #10 of 21

I just got married in November - and while I'm no pro who does this sort of thing all them time...I NEVER would have done my own cake. The stress would have pushed me over the edge for sure! I agree with ericaann79 - people won't look at your cake the same way you will. And to be may not even have time to look all that closely at it anyway! Either way, congratulations! Being married is the best! icon_smile.gif

aswartzw Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 21

I'm also on the verge of an engagement but with the way the economy is (increased cake pricing/gas/food) and just purchasing a house which required drastic remodeling my savings is shot. Therefore, I would have to lower my cake desires which (after much thought) is not happening since the wedding cake means more to me than the wedding dress (which is pretty high on my list thumbs_up.gif ). This means I'm heavily leaning towards doing my own but that will only work because I really don't care how the reception decorations look, etc. I'd be quite satisfied with surrendering other aspects of the wedding to family and I'll be happy with however that turns out.

Meaning....if you feel you can surrender other wedding areas to other people then go for it. However, I would do everything ahead of time. Bake your cakes 2 weeks prior, fondant accents months ahead, and most importantly realize what your strenght and weaknesses are and build the cake around what you are good with. If you can't smooth BC for your life, do the cake in fondant. Pick an easy design something that somebody else can easily do. Like sticking flowers in or something.

Also, if cakes stress you, you may not want to do it but they relax me because I can zone out.

BARBARAJEAN Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 21

Here's my take on it. You had to save for many years for your ring, so I'm thinking, why would you give someone else a ton of money to make your cake, when you can do it yourself. I made my own wedding cake, both my son's wedding cakes, and my daughter's wedding cake. Hey that's what they made freezers for. Don't do it wedding week, do it the week before. In case my husband reads this I will confess that my own wedding cake was pretty small and unimpressive, but my kid's were spectacular. If you do buttercream, you can make it well in advance. You could also use a stand so that you don't have to do a lot of building. Keep it simple. They are the pretty ones anyway. Take the 400 or more dollars you save and buy yourself something nice on your honeymoon. I will add also that at my age, I have given up obsessing about just about everything. Life is too short.

cakeryluv Posted 16 May 2008 , 6:16pm
post #13 of 21

Thanks for your input everyone!

I'm still undecided icon_smile.gif I know I shouldn't do it, but when I think of what I'd pay the one person I trust to do it, it's tough, knowing what my cost to do it would be, and I know Iâd do what I want and get the colors just right.

I'll have plenty of help with everything else, which will help some, but at the same time, I know all of the help I'll be getting wont be up to my standards. *sigh* There are so many days I wish I wasn't a control freak and perfectionist!! And just like aswartzw, cake is pretty high on the priority list.

I'm fast with cakes, but I'm also my own worst critic (as we all are) and my fear is being down to the wire and hating it. But, I don't want to hate the cake someone does for me either. The thought of not seeing the cake before the reception is pretty near impossible icon_biggrin.gif I'd demand it! icon_biggrin.gif

I guess Iâll have her give me a quote and see how outrageous it is. Maybe it won't be. I have no idea what her pricing is right now. She's the only decorator in the area that does fondant. If weâve got the extra in the budget for it, Iâll have to relinquish some control. icon_biggrin.gif

joshalow Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 21

I made my own wedding cake. I had made a few other wedding cakes by that point, and mine was not a tiered cake, so it was easier. It was fondant covered, with gumpaste roses. I worked on the roses before hand- not too early as I was teaching 6th grade, and still working, and going to school as well as working on a whole lot of things for my wedding. I baked it a few days before the wedding, as by that point that's all I was focusing on, everything else was basically ready. We didn't have a rehearsal dinner (had a lunch instead) because I knew I had to work on the wedding cake the night before. I was pleased with it at the time, and would do it over again. But, if I had to do it over again, I would definitely do another design LOL.

joshalow Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:19pm
post #15 of 21

I made my own wedding cake. I had made a few other wedding cakes by that point, and mine was not a tiered cake, so it was easier. It was fondant covered, with gumpaste roses. I worked on the roses before hand- not too early as I was teaching 6th grade, and still working, and going to school as well as working on a whole lot of things for my wedding. I baked it a few days before the wedding, as by that point that's all I was focusing on, everything else was basically ready. We didn't have a rehearsal dinner (had a lunch instead) because I knew I had to work on the wedding cake the night before. I was pleased with it at the time, and would do it over again. But, if I had to do it over again, I would definitely do another design LOL.

BethG Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:37pm
post #16 of 21

I made my own wedding cake and grooms cake . It was stressfull but it was a month after I got married. Wish I had someone else do it icon_biggrin.gif

diane Posted 17 May 2008 , 12:26am
post #17 of 21

i wish i did...but i didn't know anything about cake decorating back then.icon_redface.gif my cake was awful...i was on a tight budget and had to order from a grocery store. i wish i could get married again so i can make my own. icon_twisted.gif

7yyrt Posted 17 May 2008 , 1:34am
post #18 of 21

I think it depends on the type of wedding you are having and the type of person you are.
If you were a laid-back personality with a laid-back wedding, and would be happy just knowing you did it and it was personal; I'd say go ahead.
However, you say you are a control freak and it would have to be just right... I'd say pay someone else.

vmertsock Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #19 of 21

Congratulations! I did my own cake and am beyond happy I did! It's kind of odd, but it helped keep me sane when things got close, even though my family though I was mad. icon_biggrin.gif It was 4 tiers, fondant with draping, and in between each tier I made separators and inserted sugar paste roses that I made. (That was the worst part, my pasta machine broke so I hand rolled the dough for all 150 sugar roses, which for some odd reason I decided to do petal by petal instead of using a 5 petal cutter-eep! LOL) It's in my pictures, but only 3 of the tiers. To top it off, I drove it 7 hours home in 80 degree weather! I'm not a control freak, but I found when things got down to the wire, instead of worrying about things I couldn't control (like if it would rain or not, outdoor wedding) I could focus my energy and thoughts on making a beautiful cake. We didn't have a grooms cake, but I also did the favors--pumpkin, manjari and caramel truffles. Good luck!

vmertsock Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:20am
post #20 of 21

Oops, forgot to mention. I didn't stack the cake until I got to the wedding, to make it easier to transport and to help keep it fresher. Because of timings, I ended up stacking the cake at the reception in my wedding dress! (I dowelled it before the wedding, so I also have fun pictures with hair, makeup, nails, etc done, half dressed dowelling with wooden dowells lol!)I ended up with some really amusing pictures of myself and my husband stacking our cake in our formal wear icon_biggrin.gif. One of my favorite pictures from the day is one of me attempting to carry the cake while other people were holding my dress up so I could carry it up the stairs! icon_biggrin.gif Again, wouldn't have changed a thing! The looks on everyones face while they watched made it even more priceless.

bigmama1961 Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #21 of 21

I wasn't doing cakes when I got married 25 yrs ago, but Jan. I maded my anerversary cake It was just like a wedding cake I never had. To me you know what your getting when you make your own..It was a awesome anerversary cake and party....

Quote by @%username% on %date%