Newbie Wedding Cake Question

Decorating By pam29 Updated 16 May 2008 , 11:45am by pam29

pam29 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 7

I doing my brother's wedding cake in Oct. I've done 2 other wedding cakes for my brother-in-laws, but still feel new to the whole process (only a hobby). I still trying to come up with a cake design. I was thinking of a 5 tier with a 6-8-10-12-14 (round) stack with the 8 and 12 a single layer and the 6-10-12 a double layer. The last time I talked to them they were inviting 250 (but only expecting 200-225 to show up do to out of state guests).
My questions for those of you who have much more experience is (1) will this design work and look ok, it's hard to tell drawing it on paper and (2) will there be enough servings? They have given little to no input as to what they want which makes it very difficult for me. Also, I and both of my daughters are in the wedding and I would like to make a beautiful cake, but keep it simple. Any advice would be GREAT!
Thank you in advance icon_smile.gif

6 replies
tippyad Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 7

check out this site for serving sizes:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

pam29 Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the site. That does help with servings. Now if I could just come up with the perfect cake design icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 7

In general .....

Debi's 60% Rule says that 60% of the total number invited will actually show up. NOBODY has a 100% show rate, so if they "invited" 250 and only expect 25 to 50 to be no-shows because of out of state status, I think they are being overly optimistic. 250 x 60% = 150.

I go by the wilton wedding chart. http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

Here's my how-to on how to cut a cake to achieve the wilton servings: http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

I frequently have people ask me to cut them a smaller piece, so the wilton standard of 1x2x4 is "not" a tiny piece. I have NEVER run out of cake. I stay and cut over 95% of my wedding cakes.

According to this chart, a 6/10/12 will serve 106.

Do you mean the 6/10/14 being a double layer? If so, those will serve 128. A single 8/12 will serve about 40. Total = 168.

A cake that is 6/8/10/12/14, all double layer tiers = 208 servings.

pam29 Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:06am
post #5 of 7

Thank you! This is what I'm trying to figure out. I just don't have enough experience in wedding cakes to judge servings yet.

I like your cake cutting guide! I've only seen the circle cutting, yours seems much easier.

So, according to the 60% rule the 5 tier with 3 double layers and 2 singles would be ok, or would that be cutting to close?

In your opinion, would this be a good design to use, or should I do all double layers and maybe loose the 6 on top?

I also have a 16 square pan. Could I do something like a 6-10-14 round on a 16 square, or would that look funny? I'm just having a really hard time with this cake design, the other wedding cakes I did were only for about 100 people so the designs were much simpler.

indydebi Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:15am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam29

So, according to the 60% rule the 5 tier with 3 double layers and 2 singles would be ok, or would that be cutting to close?

In your opinion, would this be a good design to use, or should I do all double layers and maybe loose the 6 on top?

I also have a 16 square pan. Could I do something like a 6-10-14 round on a 16 square, or would that look funny? I'm just having a really hard time with this cake design, the other wedding cakes I did were only for about 100 people so the designs were much simpler.

Find out exactly how many they invited ... if that number is 250, then 60% is 150. I would suggest to them that they plan on 150 to 175-ish.

A 16S/14R/10R/6R would look good to me. However, it will serve 128/78/38/12 = 256 servings. Too many.

If they invited 250 and guesstimate using the 60% Rule, I think the 168 serving configuration (in link above) will work. As it gets closer to the date and they start getting RSVP's back (which are not accurate anyway), they will have a better feel for the actual expected number.

pam29 Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:45am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all your help. I'm getting together with my brother this weekend and I just wanted to have a design or two for them to pick from. I think I will go with the 5 tier and if they end up having more than that RSVP than I could make some smaller side cakes to make up the difference

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%