Baking A Half And Half Cake

Decorating By michellesArt Updated 15 May 2008 , 5:18pm by Homemade-Goodies

michellesArt Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 13

i was asked to make a half choc half vanilla cake and other than making 2 cakes and cutting them in half any ideas on how to bake it as one? this is a 3D truck style and i am hoping to have half a truck vanilla and half choc (not bottom choc and top vanilla). i thought of maybe putting a divider in the pan covered in parchment paper so i can cook it at one time...any suggestions would be great!! thanks

12 replies
indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 13

all of my sheet cakes are 1/2-n-1/2. I don't use a divider. The batter isnt' Kool-Aid .... it won't blend into each other. Think of it like lava ... when the two batters meet, they are thick enough that they will stop each other.

I sit one end of the pan on an overturned saucer, a lid from a jar, the handle of a cookie scoop ... anything that elevates the pan an inch or two. Pour the first batter in the lower end. When the 2nd batter is ready, lay the pan flat and pour the 2nd batter in.

choc cake rises higher than white cake, but when you trim the doming, it will all work out fine.

CarolAnn Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 13

I'm with Debi. I do the exact same thing. Easy as pie!

michellesArt Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 13

my hubbie suggested baking 2 cakes and bring one to his golf night-i guess that works too but next time i'd definately not prefer to do twice the work-thanks debi icon_smile.gif

rvercher23 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 13

I usually use a piece of cardboard or plastic cut to the size of the pan and put it in the middle of the pan. I then pour both flavors of batter into each side, then when it is to the right level, I pull the board or plastic out. Very easy, and it makes a nice clean line where the batter meet!

Homemade-Goodies Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 13

Have you made a pie lately CarolAnn?? hehe

You guys, I never thought of actually baking them together...makes my life a LOT easily, thanks for the tip!! icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 13

Is it a 3-D pan or are you going to carve the cake?

CarolAnn Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Have you made a pie lately CarolAnn?? hehe

Actually no Miss Smarty Pants!! But I AM going to make a coconut cream pie next week! LOL I don't make many pies anymore, since my kids all left home.

butternut Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 13

Yummy, Yummy, coconut cream pie thumbs_up.gif

Win Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 13

I made one recently by using a divider. I don't have the confidence of the Indydebi's and the CarolAnn's of the world to simply let it "pour." As well it did need to be leveled (in its center as it was thick batter and needed to be pushed into the corners where the two met) prior to baking and if I had not used a divider those two flavors would have been more of a marble vs. separate. I was very pleased with the outcome. It might be that someday I can manage two bowls at once, but in the meantime, the divider was more than a great alternative. : )

Edited to add: I used the Wilton strips on the pan which keeps the chocolate side from rising higher than the vanilla... that was great!

indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:36pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

Easy as pie!

Oh that is funny! The only way I can make a good pie is with the pie-crust-in-the-red-box stuff and some good canned filling! If I had to make a living on making pie crusts, I'd starve to death! ('coz even *I* wouldn't eat the pie crusts I make!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CarolAnn Posted 15 May 2008 , 3:03pm
post #12 of 13

I mostly only make cream pies anymore. A couple years ago I was at a craft festival in Arkansas and discovered this wonderful product. It's a no roll pie crust and cream filling mix. No rolling pin needed, you mix the crust ingredients together and pat it into the pan. It's wonderful gut, as the Amish say. Last year I wandered into a new shop in town and found they sell these mixes. Yee ha!
www.elsiegraces.com

Homemade-Goodies Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:18pm
post #13 of 13

Oooh, thanks for sharing, CarolAnn...everything looks wonderful from them!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%