Betty Crocker Cupcake Mix

Decorating By Ladivacrj Updated 15 May 2008 , 2:32pm by MichelleM77

Ladivacrj Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:33pm
post #1 of 11

I was just looking at the sales paper for a local discount grocer (Marc's) and they have a Betty Crocker Cupcake Mix, 2 for $3.00.

Has anyone seen and tried them? and I wonder what the difference is between the cupcake mix and regular cake mix.

Looks interesting.

ladiva

10 replies
indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 11

I've never used them, but I look at it this way .... our mama's made cupcakes using regular 'ole cake mixes for years and years and they turned out just fine. I think it's just a marketing ploy .... with the rising popularity of cupcake-cakes, they just repackaged the cake mix to entice people to THINK they need a special mix for it. $1.50 each? I buy regular cake mix for $0.93. Why would I pay 50% more?

I remember when microwaves first came into being (yes, virginia, there WAS a time when there were no microwaves!). One of the paper towel companies came up with a 'special' paper towel designed to be used in the microwave. It was, of course, 50% higher in cost than regular paper towels. My mom thought she HAD to use this special paper towel in her microwave .... she was afraid the regular ones would catch fire or something! Oh brother!!!

I am always leary of these "fad" marketing techiniques that are designed to make the consumer think they HAVE to spend more on a special item ... when the one they've been using for generations has been working just fine!

mbelgard Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

$1.50 each? I buy regular cake mix for $0.93. Why would I pay 50% more?
!

I don't know if you've actually looked at them but you don't get 24 cupcakes with those, only 12 so it's even worse than that.

The only use I can think of for it is if you're watching what you eat and only want a few. Of course you could bake 24 and find somewhere to send half and accomplish the same thing.

indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

I don't know if you've actually looked at them but you don't get 24 cupcakes with those, only 12 so it's even worse than that.

Now that you mention that, it seems I heard that! Whatta scam on the unsuspecting consumer!! icon_mad.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 11

Yup...marketing ploy...kinda Like Coke marketing "Classic Coke" many years back and really it was the same old Coke as the regular kind!! Gotta give the companies credit for trying though...

peanut123 Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 11

Remember this one?

Pillsbury Microwave Cake Commercial from 1986

CarolAnn Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:53pm
post #7 of 11

Of course it's a marketing thing! They'll do this every time! Dupe the poor dumb smuck consumers into paying more for the same thing just by repackaging. Ha ha, those consumers fall for it every time!! I can hear the company execs now.

I haven't looked at the volume in the cupcake mixes but I'd expect it to contain less than a cake mix box. People, you know you CAN use half a cake mix at a time if you don't want to make 24 cuppies or you need additional batter for a cake. I've sifted the whole mix and then split and zip bagged half for later. Then just use half of the other ingredients.

I took the cupcakes left over from a bake sale, to benefit the ACS, to work on Monday and a lady came over to look at them and said "Carol, you do cupcakes too??" I smiled and said "sure!" People amaze me, they think cupcakes are hard too! I think cupcakes were the first things I EVER made as a kid. It just strikes me funny.

CakeMommyTX Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #8 of 11

I saw those the other day and laughed!
It would be the same as buying special pancake mix for silver dollar pancakes opposed to full size pancakes...and paying more!

indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulytx

I saw those the other day and laughed!
It would be the same as buying special pancake mix for silver dollar pancakes opposed to full size pancakes...and paying more!

Yeah!!! Rushing to the patent office right now!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

chassidyg Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 11

Target has them on an endcap with all the wilton's cupcake heaven items. last week when I was there, the whole endcap was 50% off. The cupcake mixes only get 12-15, I havent tried them, I think regular price at target is 1.49 for them though.

MichelleM77 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:32pm
post #11 of 11

I saw them in the Marc's ad too! Too funny! I have read in a few cake decorating books (WBH I think was one) about using different recipes for cupcakes because "they aren't just little cakes." ??? They didn't really state why there needed to be a different recipe, from what I remember. I don't get it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%