Question For Those Of You Who "paint" On Fondant C

Decorating By MomLittr Updated 15 May 2008 , 9:29pm by SugarBakerz

MomLittr Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 5

What do you use to paint with. I found a site called www.thesweetpalette.com, who sell a kit of paste colors and blending items for $32. Have any of you used their products? Would I be just as well off using Americolor paste colorings? Just wondered if you think SweetPalette product would be worth getting. icon_rolleyes.gif

Debbie

4 replies
norma20 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Debbie,

Mich Turner has two painted cakes in her book. One of them is a ballerina and some bees, the other one has some birds of paradise and little branchs.
Both are painted with a mixture of cocoa butter and edible color dusts.
The book is called "Spectacular Cakes".

She says:
Melt the cocoa butter in a saucer suspended over a heat-resistant bowl of boiling water. Tip color dusts onto the edge of the saucer. Use a paintbrush to gently mix the cocoa butter with the color dusts as desired and paint onto the cake, allowing time for each to set as the cocoa butter cools. If the cocoa butter starts to cool and harden on the saucer, replace the boiling water in the bowl underneat.

Norma

MomLittr Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you Norma, didn't know you can do that!

After a little more searching, I come to find the paste colors offered by that one website ARE Americolor paints (thought the container looked very familiar), which is great because I already have some. On to more fontant painting for me!

deb

trumpetmidget Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 5

I use a couple of different methods. I use powder food coloring mixed with clear vanilla - the vanilla evaporates quickly. I also use gel paste (I use wilton and americolor...I'm an equal opportunity food color user. My powders are country kitchen). I will often use the gels straight up, but will often put a little vanilla in it if it needs. I love to paint on fondant, but don't get to do it too often. HTH

SugarBakerz Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 5

I use americolor gels thinned out with white airbrush color... to make it a little less powerful.. I have also thinned with vanilla... remember a little color gelo goes a long way. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%