Lots Of Questions....

Decorating By ShelBell Updated 15 May 2008 , 4:51pm by ShelBell

ShelBell Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 5

O.K....so, I have been out of the decorating world for a bit...but I'm back... I have a few questions...

Some good friends of ours are getting married and have asked me to do the cake...I said yes..so here's the deal...they insist on paying for it, I was gonna do it as a gift, but they INSIST on paying, and insist I charge them normal price, no "friends" discount...well, the cake is 6 tiers 6",8",10",12",14",16" Round...6,8,10 are all fake, 12, 14,16 are white cake with various fillings...covered in fondant, some flowers, and a grooms cake, 3d baseball hat...chocolate cake....my question is, how would you charge for it? I love them dearly and was thinking maybe just tell them the total I spend on supplies, and accept that? I'm lost on this one...LOL...also any opinions on Satin Ice v. Chocopan?????
Thanks in advance...I know I'll get some great helpful replies from all you guys!!

4 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:18am
post #2 of 5

I prefer SatinIce, I find ChocoPan hard to work with. As far as the cake goes, tell them the real price. You don't want them to order a cake in years to come and expect it to cost less because you only charged for ingredients this time...

7yyrt Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 5

Do you know what your normal charge would be, or are you asking for help figuring that part out ?

sillywabbitz Posted 15 May 2008 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 5

Another question as a newbie I have is , Do you want to put the real cake on bottom? Wouldn't it be more stable and make more sense to do the fake cake as the bottom tiers? I was thinking from a cutting perspective and also from a stability perspective. I'm totally new so if I am completely off base please let me know.

Thanks

ShelBell Posted 15 May 2008 , 4:51pm
post #5 of 5

I think that is part of my problem...I have never had a "set" pricing guide I go by...what is your opinion? Also, the bottom tier (16") has to be real for them to cut for photos and stuff...but, how would do the rest? Should real cake be on higher tiers, and styrofoam be towards the bottom?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%