Slab Roller

Decorating By wackie4u Updated 11 Oct 2010 , 1:45am by HamSquad

wackie4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wackie4u Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has used a slab roller for their fondant? I would like to try one but would like to hear from someone who has already tried.
Thanks,
Melody icon_biggrin.gif
[email protected]

5 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 6

Oohhh...I would love a sheeter too! I have some muscle weakness in my arms and they get so darn tired some days with rolling it out over and over. Sometimes the following day I can't use them very well, grip strength is down, etc. I sheeter would be sooo nice! icon_smile.gif

APieceofCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APieceofCake Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:24am
post #3 of 6

Ok so I decided to take the plunge and buy the slabmaster 30 from clay king. They had the best price, cheap shipping, and they threw in the canvas mats.

It was extremely easy to put together, it took about one hour. It was quite bigger than I thought it would be.

I started right away rolling the fondant. Like the sheeters you do have to get the piece of fondant somewhat flat. I used the canvas on the bottom and sandwiched it between two pieces of plastic. The machine is adjustable by the two wheels on the top so that makes it so easy. Then I use the big wheel and turned. I do have to do a couple of passes and decrease the depth each time.

One thing with fondant and the hand rolling method is that i use the powdered sugar, pan spray, etc... and always typically get cracks. I ahve tried everything. It was so nice with the slab roller, NOT ONE CRACK!! I made some of the most amazing perfect fondant covered cakes this week. It was awsome. I did not want to invest $5000 in a sheeter so this will be a nice alternative until I can.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:49am
post #4 of 6

That sounds like a fantastic option! Can you tell us how big it can roll? I mean, can you cover a 14" cake? Only 10"? A large sheet cake? Just curious, as I HATE rolling fondant, but love the look of it!

Edited to add: I'm sorry, I think I just realized that the 30 referred to 'inches wide'. icon_redface.gif Answered my own question there! heheh.

APieceofCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APieceofCake Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 12:58am
post #5 of 6

I was able to easily roll fondant on to a 14" square cake. The ivory fondant acted a bit weird with the slab roller, but got it to work.

If you keep the plastic super flat and roll it then it works great.

It takes a little bit to kind of get the right shape but just like the sheeter you have to feed it in a few times.

Like I said no regreat and alot less than an electric sheeter.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 11 Oct 2010 , 1:45am
post #6 of 6

OMG! I was wondering about a future investment with a slabe roller! I have had the website save to favorite for months now. Thanks so much for the info. Can't afford a sheeter, nor do I have enough requests for fondant, but I hurt my shoulders in a car accident a year ago and if I roll out fondant the wrong way even with making fondant flowers, the pain is horrible. Thank you!
Hamsquad

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%