Cake As A Pie Crust - Possible And How?

Decorating By ANicole Updated 26 May 2008 , 11:04am by Mike1394

ANicole Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 10

I'm sure it would be possible. But how would I go about it? Would I take prebaked cake scraps and mush them (with something as a binder) inside the pie plate? Or could you actually bake a thin layer of cake in a pie plate?

I want to enter this pie baking contest - but I want the pie crust to be cakey - not pie-y.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Amber

9 replies
Batter-UpBakery Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 10

Maybe the cake scraps like you said, but maybe you could bake that for a few minutes to kind of dry it back out. That way it wont be to mushy lol hth

ANicole Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 10

What about adding those "crispies" you use to make crisped rice candy (they are smaller than rice crispies -about the size of the crunchy balls in a Nestle crunch bar) to the cake to give it some crunch?

But you'd need something to make it all stick together.

ANicole Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 10

Maybe this idea really won't work...

But I was wondering, too, what the texture of cake balls is like. Maybe I could do a "cake ball" pie crust? Use some frosting to mush it all together into a pie crust? Am I just way crazy here?

Batter-UpBakery Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 10

no your not crazy lol. i would like other opinions on this also

Jayde Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 10

What if you took a sheet pan and made a thin cake layer, like you would for a jelly roll? Bake and cool, then turn over your pie plate, gently tuck it in and trim around the edges. Am I making sense?

OR! You could use a ganache to stick your cake scraps together. Just make a chocolate or white chocolate ganache, depending on your flavor, and mix a little with your scraps. When the ganache cools, it will set up kind of like a moist crust. That would be awesome for a chocolate pie!

7yyrt Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 10

How about baking brownies (blondies) in your pie plate?

azureblu Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 10

Hi, I'm gonna jump right in and post.... No more lurk-dom

If you use a sponge cake recipe and grease and flower your pan well, you will find this makes a nice firm cake. You can hollow out the cake after baking, or use less batter before baking. This is what I do.

ANicole Posted 26 May 2008 , 1:34am
post #9 of 10

Great ideas, thanks! I was thinking I was crazy for considering it...

Mike1394 Posted 26 May 2008 , 11:04am
post #10 of 10

It depends on what kind of pie you want to make. Reading this how about a nice vanilliny yellow cake coated with a white choc ganash. Fill with a raspberry filling.

Mike

Oh BTW I'm in Roseville. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%