Need Advice On Starting New Cake Business

Business By Grettel Updated 15 May 2008 , 10:46pm by Grettel

Grettel Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 10

Hi all,
I am thinking of starting my home based business to make and decorate cakes. Does anyone know what the procedure is to obtain liscence. Do I also need insurance?
Thanks for you help,

9 replies
beccakelly Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:44pm
post #2 of 10

from what i understand texas won't license home bakery businesses. hopefully other CCer's in texas will have more info.

Grettel Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks BeccaKelly!
I am afraid that is not exactly what I wanted to hear but what I needed to hear.

yummyumm Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 10

Texas allows home bakeries...just not IN your home. Can be attatched but must not open up directly into your home. So basically a separate kitchen. Must be liscensed through the state first then call your local health dept. Also depends on city limits or county.

Grettel Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks Yummyyumm!

yummyumm Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:13am
post #6 of 10

You are welcome...where is Mansfield??

Grettel Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:19am
post #7 of 10
Originally Posted by yummyumm

You are welcome...where is Mansfield??

DFW area (by Arlington)

DaisyLisa17 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:19am
post #8 of 10

Ugh... this is also what I am struggling with. Texas seems to be pretty tough on licensing.

Yummyumm, where in East Texas are you?

SweetConfectionsChef Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:24pm
post #9 of 10

It also depends on your subdivision rules and zoning requirements. And actually where I am (Harris County) I only have to be licensed by the county unless I am selling prepackaged goods or wholesale....then I would contact the state. Your bet, to the OR, is to contact your city/county HD.

Grettel Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:46pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks all for your posts. I will do some more research here in my city and see what I come up with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%