Travelling With Cake ? Need Answer Quick!

Decorating By akgirl10 Updated 15 May 2008 , 10:33am by jmt1714

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone know if you can carry on a small cake through airport security? Or does it have to be in checked baggage? I'm sending a cake with a friend today and she'd rather just carry it on, has anyone done this recently? Thanks!!

3 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 4

I have heard it both ways and I would call her travel agency to get the real scoop.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:31am
post #3 of 4

I've traveled with real cakes and dummies many times. I've never had any trouble getting them thru security. They've been small enough to fit in the overhead (no taller than 12 inches, boxed, and I think 20" long is the max). I carry business vcards with me and I make sure that it's easy to open the box to show the cake, if necessary.

The only time security gave me a heap of trouble was over a stupid spatula (a small offset with a rounded point). The idiot couldn't get his head around the fact that it wasn't sharp--thank heaven's his boss's mom was a cake decorator or I'd have been sittin' on the curb!

HTH
Rae

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:33am
post #4 of 4

a cake would never survive being checked. Make sure your friend knows it counts as one of her carryon articlles (you usually are limited to 2 - and your purse counts as well). Some airports make exceptions but many do not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%