Hand Painted Fondant

Decorating By malishka Updated 14 May 2008 , 10:48pm by Cakebelle

malishka Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 5

Hi guys,
Does anyone know how to hand paint fondant. I have seen such beautiful cakes. Amazing works of art that are hand painted. I use wilton color gels to color my fondante with, but this tecknique is way different.

Don't know if i should mix the gels in a cup with water or alcohol and just paint away with a paint brush. Won't that make an already covered fondante cake kind of goowee (for lack of a better word)? Or, won't the color "run" like a watercolor effect?

Any suggestions before I start experimenting would be greatly appreciated. I have this amazing picture of a cake in my head that I want to make, can't wait to start. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
mindywith3boys Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 5

I painted the fish cake in my avatar with airbrush paint and and paint brush. Worked great! thumbs_up.gif

~Mindy

mindywith3boys Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 5

I painted the fish cake in my avatar with airbrush paint and and paint brush. Worked great! thumbs_up.gif

~Mindy

SugarBakerz Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 5

I painted the most recent bustier in my gallery with icing color thinned out with clear vanilla. I used a regular paint brush from my DD's art set (never used of course). HTH

Cakebelle Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 5

I paint on cakes covered with fondant too. I just use thinned food coloring, if you use water to thin it out it takes a long time to dry, depending on the art of course, and if you use vodka or everclear it dries faster. The powder colors are very matt in their finish and the gel colors have a little sheen to them. Also too much liquid can melt the fondant, so you have to make sure you paint on a cake that has a dry surface. I cover the cake and let it sit overnight before painting on it.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%