Cookies On Sides Of Cake

Decorating By chutzpah Updated 21 May 2008 , 7:44pm by mayamia

chutzpah Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 17

I've had a request from a customer to replicate one of the cakes on this site:

They have cookies on sticks, and then cookies stuck to the sides of the cake. D'ya think the cookies are just stuck in the BC, or do you think there is a hidden system of some sort that we can't see?

It would seem that if the cake sat out for any length of time that those cookies would slide right off.

Any and all help and/or suggestions is/are appreciated.

16 replies
akgirl10 Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 17

Experiment time! I would attach a bunch of cookies various ways to a cake and see what happens.

My thought would be to put a couple of blobs of royal icing on the back of the cookie, insert toothpicks and let dry. Then you can push the picks into the cakes.

I've thought of doing something like this before, those cakes are pretty cute.

mbelgard Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 17

If the cookie is small and light enough it wouldn't need a stick. Some of the larger ones might need a stick or two on the back, I'd use candy melts instead of royal because it will set quicker. If the cookies are sitting around the base of the cake they won't need anything more than a little icing even if they're large.

MichelleM77 Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 17

There is another post about one of their cakes floating around. I read in an interview about them somewhere that they don't use sticks for the ones on the sides of the cake, so I would think it is just BC. I wish I knew too! They have made such a niche for themselves and it seems to be working for them.

nicrysmom Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:23pm
post #5 of 17

Hi all - I have made acouple of kids cakes with cookies on them. For the ones on the sides of the cake I just put a few blobs of bc on the back of the cookie and then press it into the cake. The bottom of the cookie is resting on the cake board. For the cookies that are standing on top of my cakes I put toothpicks in the cookie as soon as they come out of the oven. After I decorate the cookies I just stick them into the cake! If the cookie seems loose on the toothpick I just put a little RI on the pick where it meets the cookie!
I will try to get my pics downloaded, but I am not a computer whiz!

MichelleM77 Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:26pm
post #6 of 17

See, that's the thing....some of the cookies on the above website aren't resting on the cake board. Do you think BC is all it will take to hold them on there?

ALVARGA Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:28pm
post #7 of 17

I have made a couple of cakes with cookies. All I use is buttercream and they stick just fine. They do soften up after a while though. I haven't tried sticking them straight up but I would probably bake the cookie on a sucker stick and use that to anchor it into the cake. icon_biggrin.gif

chutzpah Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:34am
post #8 of 17

Texas_Rose Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:54am
post #9 of 17

Cookies will stick just fine on buttercream. You want to stick them on before the buttercream has crusted, or I guess if you needed to do them afterwards, then you could put some buttercream on the backs and just stick them on.

They don't get too soggy either...usually they will soften up some but they don't lose their shape. I like to use the wilton no-chill roll out cookie recipe when I do it.

chutzpah Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #10 of 17

Just wanted to say thanks. The cake turned out fine and I've posted a pic. Some of them were on sticks and some were 'glued' on with BC.

The clients were thrilled.

MichelleM77 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:21pm
post #11 of 17

Looks great! No problems with cookies falling off with just BC? I love this look, just too afraid to try it, figured they would just plop right off.

akgirl10 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #12 of 17

Terrific cake! Are those chocolate cookies, they look yummy.

chutzpah Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #13 of 17

I was really afraid the the cookies would slide right off if the cake sat out any length of time. The clients haven't called yet (the cake was Saturday) so I guess everything went fine!

akgirl10 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #14 of 17

What kind of buttercream did you use?

chutzpah Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:28pm
post #15 of 17

SMBC... always.

akgirl10 Posted 21 May 2008 , 6:33pm
post #16 of 17

That's what I thought it looked like, I'm slowly becoming a convert...

mayamia Posted 21 May 2008 , 7:44pm
post #17 of 17

Very pretty, I am going to try that for my daughters kinder graduation

Quote by @%username% on %date%