A Few Filling Questions

Decorating By tirby Updated 15 May 2008 , 8:20pm by sambugjoebear

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 5

1. What is lemon curd?
2. Is it the best lemon filling for white cake?
I have an order for a cake with lemon filling and didn't know if making lemon filling was easy hard able to be at room temp? OR If the premade kind is any good?

Also If I made fresh strawberry filling would it be good if frozen?
Or how long can It be in the fridge if not frozen?

I have a cake next week but I have a few major things to do also so I was hoping to get a little head start this week by making the filling and icing early.

Thanks

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 5

Hi there, Lemon curd is made with egg yolks ( but sometimes there are recipes which calls for whol eggs too), sugar, lemon ect. I have't used store bought curd. I make my own. There are great recipes in the CC recipe index.

Lemon curd is not the only best filling for a white cake. Once I made mango curd, which was really nice. And then I have used strawberry curd. You also can use chocolate, Pineapple, raspberry, nutella ect. Actualy anything you fancy. I think there is a great Pineapple filling in the recipe index.

If you want to make curd, here is a link from epicurious. You can use what ever fruit you like, instead of nectarine (that's the fruit the recipe calls for ).

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/15128

Sorry I can't answer other questions though. hope someone else can help you with that. icon_biggrin.gif

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, The cake is for a 50th anniversary at the church and the daughter just said LEMON filling....Not a spacific kind.....So any other opinions on a yummy lemon filling? Mousse or ?????

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 5

I love lemon curd and I used pre-made from the store - Dickinson's brand that you can find near the jellies and jams.

I read somewhere that if you do use store bought, you should make sure that it has butter in it (Dickinson's does - it is one of the first ingredients listed).

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 5

I use the Dickinson's Lemon Curd also. Heads up though, it might not be in the jelly section. Atleast it's not here; it's in the baking aisle.

Good luck if you make your own. icon_smile.gif I haven't been that adventurous yet. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%