Help... Gumpaste.... What's Wrong With It????

Decorating By Pama2d Updated 15 May 2008 , 7:17pm by Pama2d

Pama2d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pama2d Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 22

Isn't gumpaste supposed to dry and harden? If so, how long should that take approximately? I just can't seem to get mine to harden enough that when I put the bow together my loops don't droop. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

ps... I'm using a pre-made gumpaste. I believe it's made by Bakels (sp?)

21 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 22

How long are you waiting, how thick are the loops and what is your humidity like?

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:41am
post #3 of 22

On the same note I made some gumpaste roses last night and they were drying nicely, I decided to put them in the air con bedroom over night and when I got up this morning they were all floppy and soggy??!!

I thought aircon dryed things out?! My stars dryed ok before in there, I'm just wondering is it becuase I used vodka to 'glue' them? icon_confused.gif

Also once they're totally dry can they still go soggy in humidity after? If so then I don't think i'll be seeing any gumpaste flowers in Bangkok, not that I've ever seen any anyway, that might explain it!! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:04am
post #4 of 22

using a pre-made gumpaste. I believe it's made by Bakels
once they're totally dry can they still go soggy in humidity

I have heard lots of people say using that brand of premade gumpaste it *never* driesicon_sad.gif

Definately they can go soggy in humidity even once they have dried completely.

Shola Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:48am
post #5 of 22

Is there any kind of product to prevent gumpaste going soggy again? Some kind of spray or wash??

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:13am
post #6 of 22

I had a friend who used that brand.. and still a week later the stuff didnt dry.. I'd send it back or call them

I use SI gp .. and I've heard lot's of people talk about Nick Lodges GP recipe

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:29am
post #7 of 22

pre-made gumpaste sometimes will never dry properly. I agree about using the N Lodge recipe - it is super easy and is a really good gumpaste.

wgoat5 Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:35am
post #8 of 22

I have to honestly say I am hooked on SI gp.. it always dries very nicely.. Sometimes tooooo nicely LOL and toooo quickly but I do love it

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 22

Hi Shola,
I'm in Shanghai and we get awful humidity here as well, my beautiful gumpaste shoes were completely dry before summer, I swear rockhard, and after summer....... they drooped. I used premade. There is a cake decorator in Bangkok, I think she uses the Nick Lodge recipe and swears by it. She is AWESOME

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:16pm
post #10 of 22

I had some Wilton GP and was making roses. No problem with them drying. I ran out of the Wilton's and my local cake decorating supply store only carried the Bakel's. I only needed to make one more rose and I found the Bakels was so soft and difficult to work with. I have to say that I bought some more Wilton GP and until I am able to try other brands, Wilton's is what I will use. It just has more body and stays where you shape it.

Just my 2 cents.

Gayle
SE Michigan

Shola Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:21pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursula40

Hi Shola,
I'm in Shanghai and we get awful humidity here as well, my beautiful gumpaste shoes were completely dry before summer, I swear rockhard, and after summer....... they drooped. I used premade. There is a cake decorator in Bangkok, I think she uses the Nick Lodge recipe and swears by it. She is AWESOME

Hi Ursula,
Any more info you can give me on the cake decorator in Bangkok?! A good cake in Bangkok is a rare thing! icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:44pm
post #12 of 22

I have heard the same thing about the Bakel's brand.. it never dries. The CK brand doesn't like to dry really hard either. The Wilton stuff isn't much better.

I make Nicholas Lodge's recipe and it dries great.. almost a little too great.. icon_lol.gif. I have never had an issue with it not drying. You can find it here:

http://www.nicholaslodge.com/gumpaste.htm

It is bright white too which is nice. I haven't used Satin Ice gumpaste, but the Nic Lodge recipe is SOOOOOOOOO easy to make.. it takes 10 minutes from start to finish.. and it works so beautifully that it's all I'll use. You can roll it paper thin with no problems and I mix it with fondant when I want to make figures.. I can't recommend it enough.

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:47pm
post #13 of 22

I use the Satin Ice Gumpaste and Nick Lodge GP. Both were too sticky for me here in Florida, so Michele Foster gave me the advice of adding more tylose to both products. What do you know it worked. My flowers dried very well and it was much easier to work with, not as soft. So maybe try adding some tylose to your GP. HTH

Ursula40 Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:50pm
post #14 of 22

I think she isn't taking anymore orders at the moment, but she certainly had made beautiful things in the past. I'll go check, I had some questions, and she answered mine very fast. If I find her email, I'll pm you, but prob. tomorrow, it's getting late here and quite frankly, I'm bushed

Ursula40 Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:56pm
post #15 of 22

Upps, sorry, she is in Singapore, not Bangkok, but same weather

Pama2d Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #16 of 22

This may be a stupid question, but I've never used Tylose before. Is it a liquid or powder that you add to the gumpaste?

wgoat5 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:13pm
post #17 of 22

powder icon_smile.gif

Pama2d Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:16pm
post #18 of 22

Thank you all for your help. I guess I'm going to have to start making my own. I'll be ordering some Tylose today!

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:44pm
post #19 of 22

Try Scott Clark Woolley's if you get a chance. He posts it on his website. It says to use gum trag, but you can use tylose and it's just as good. It's never failed me, nor has anything ever drooped on me. I have had things in my curio for years and w/no ac and super high humidity and it remains unaffected. I've never tried Nick Lodge's only because it uses so much tylose whereas Scott's doesn't use as much.

Pama2d Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #20 of 22

With the Scott Clark Woolley recipe, would the measurement be the same if substituting tylose for the gum tragacanth?? 2 tbls plus 2 tsps???

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #21 of 22

no. you use less. tylose is stronger. i use 2tablespoons.

Pama2d Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:17pm
post #22 of 22

Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%