Fosting On My Cake Bubbled Up?!

Decorating By dandy207 Updated 15 May 2008 , 6:06am by sugarshack

dandy207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandy207 Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:14pm
post #1 of 7

On mothers day I knowticed my cake had a large bubble on the top of it. Somehow, the frosting pulled away from the cake, it was carrot cake btw, and raised up , you could poke at it and it would spring back up. lol I didnt get a picture of the cake. As soon as i stuck a toothpick in it , it went away. So weird,,, any ideas what would have caused this?

6 replies
cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 7

Did you freeze the cake , sometimes when it has moisture in it the icing will do this its called a blow out, Sharon from sugarshak has a website she talked about this sounds like the one she talkes about anyway, Hope this helps some

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 7

This happened to me when I used the icing tip. So I stopped using the icer tipicon_smile.gif
Did you use the icer tip? I read somewhere to use tip 18 to ice the cake to get an even amount of icing all the way around the cake. Now reading about other people's icing techniques I think I will use a larger tip to get a thicker layer of icing but I like using a tip to get that consistent amt of icing.

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 7

Welcome to the "blowout club". Its something that happens on occassion and no one has pinpointed the exact reason. There are a lot of theories and Sharon Z. of the Sugar Shack reall spent a lot of time delving into the cause.

She firmly believes it is temperature changes and humidity. I tend to agree. I find that I get a blowout now and then when I remove my cakes from the fridge and work on them then put them back and then remove again over and over.

Hope you can steer clear of them from now on!!

dandy207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandy207 Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 7

The cake did get put in and out of the freezer a couple times, then into the fridge overnight. I bet thats what did it. Thanks guys!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:33am
post #6 of 7

LOL <--- not laughing at you.. but wait till ya get a blow out almost ALL THE WAY AROUND your cake.. I did!!! Looked so nice when I went to bed then POOF .. huge ring (looked like a filling buldge but wasn't).

UGHHH .. but I popped it and took a viva to it and it was better...not perfect but better

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:06am
post #7 of 7

Blow outs are the spawn of the devil. We all get them no matter what we do "right" or "wrong". I do believe moisture between the cake and icing is a big culprit. ( or a very wet cake, or runny filling). Extreme temp changes that cause condensation lead to them, IMHO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%