Cake Decorating Career

Decorating By malishka Updated 14 May 2008 , 7:15pm by JoAnnB

malishka Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 2

Hi guys,
This is my first time posting. Let me just say how helpful & enlightening this place has been. Thank you to all of you for the wonderful advice.
I have been decorating cakes for about 2 years now. i took the first wilton course just as a "me time" thing and got hooked. Addicted is a better description. i finished all of the wilton courses and now I'm learning what ever bits of imformation I can find on the net. My 2 kids and boyfriend have been very supportive. But they are complaining that they are not getting nearly enough attention as they used to.
I would like to turn my hobby into a career. I have always been creative. Somewhat of a crafter/artist. I love everything beautiful and so take the initiative to make it that way. Does anyone know how I change careers from a bookkeeper to a cake decorator and still manage to pay the bills and support my family? I have been baking from my kitchen, but I don't get a lot of orders. i mostly make cakes for family members who really want BIG discounts. the most I have charged is $150.00 for a 3 tiered, very beautiful, magical forest tinkerbell cake for 80 people. ( I have attached the picture ). The way I look at it is that it gets me free advertising. I always put my business cards next to every cake I do.
Does anyone know of a place in Hollywood Fl who is looking for cake decorator. I would love to work as an apprentice and absorb everything I can. I would love to work and enjoy my job. 18 years of Accounting is definately not making me happy.

1 reply
JoAnnB Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 2

Welcome to Cake Central. You can take a portfolio around to bakeries and try to find a position. however, you probably don't want to tell them you are working from your home. It is not legal to sell home baked goods in Florida. It requires work in a commercial, licensed kitchen.

I could never replace my current wage as an accountant with cake decorating. I do have a commercial kitchen that allows me to work at my own level of business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%