Need Some Advice On Birthday Party Cake For Saturday

Decorating By MoMo1326 Updated 14 May 2008 , 8:18pm by confectioneista

MoMo1326 Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 7

Hey guys. Im nto sure if im in the right forum, but Ill take all the help I can get hehe. icon_smile.gif

I have always made cakes, but this one is a little different. Its my first cake that I have actually themed. Or used a smooth buttercream on with trims and what not.
The Cake itself is going to be a 2 layer round cake with White icing and a turquise blue and Purple trim. The center piece I made myself, and it will have carousel horses. I think once its all put together it will be beautiful. However we did a test run this past weekend, and decided that with the number of people coming we also need to make cupcakes. *this is for my soon to be 8 year olds little girl party* There will be boys there also, which is why we arent going pink. Plus her fav color is a bright blue.
So now that im rambling heres my questions...

1. Does anyone have a good food coloring recipe for a VIBRANT BRIGHT BRIGHT BLUE and DEEP DEEP PURPLE. We tried this weekend and they looked so pretty in the bowl but on the cake itself they fell short with being as bright as we wanted???

2. Now that I have to make cupcakes, I have decided to use crystal colored sugar to make marshmellow flowers on top, but how do I design these things on the huge board that I am going to have? The cake of course will be the center piece of the board *im using a science fair board haha* but I dont want them just sitting there, any ideas on how to incorperate them into the over all design of the cake?

3. Covering the Science fair board... What do you recommend for covering? Can I use that shinny gift wrap sheets? The ones that are kind of like a flimsy tin foil. Tin Foil seems to plain, im not sure what to use on this. If I put the cake on the board, being as its a moist cake its going to soak into the board and be a nightmare taking it off.. AHHH!!!
Any ideas there?

4. and lost but not least.. I obviously cant cover these things? So do you recommend we transporting the cupcakes in a box and then setting them up when I get there. Im soo nervous about putting this thing in a car and having it slide around.. I have a small car, and dont know anyone with an SUV that could transport it, so Im sort of a little scare about all of this at this point, I think I have it figured out, but should I just assemble the cupcakes at the party site? I cant put the carousel design together until I get there, so im guessing I should more then likely do the same with the cupcakes?

Thanks soo much in advance guys.
I will most definately let everyone know how it comes out and post photos. Being as this is my first real design cake, aside from a pumpkin, but that was fairly easy anyways...

Thanks again!

MoMo icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Batter-UpBakery Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 7

I can almost feel your excitement from here lol. The only thing I can recommend with the icing is to make it up and color it a day or so ahead of time. The longer it sits, the better the color will get. Depending on the number of cupcakes, I think I would sit them around the cake, like have them circling it. You would probably be ok having the cupcakes finished when you take them. But this would really just be up to you and wether or not you are comfortable hauling them finished. As far as covering the board, you can do anything you want with the board!! You could use cordinating wrapping paper to cover it, the foil looking wrapping paper. Really the posibilties are endless. But I would recommend covering it with clear contact paper after you put the wrapping paper on it. The moisture from the cake will still sink into the wrapping paper. You can find the clear contact paper at walmart. Ok sorry this was so long!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif Hope this helps out!!

confectioneista Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 7

Suggestion for item #2 - how about cupcake bouquets (mini ones) or "tier" the cupcakes around the cake using styrofoam for the tiers?

It sounds like it will be sooo neat when you get it all done! Good luck and Happy Birthday to the Birthday girl! icon_smile.gif

MoMo1326 Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you!

Someone also suggested that I make a 12 inch square cake, and then make my round cakes 8 inches, and rest the carousel on top of that, and decorate the bottom like its a pedastal for the cake. Or with the flowers to make it look like the carousel is setting on a bed of flowers...
Im thinking for transport that might be easier..
Wow its soo nerveracking. This is her first real bday party and everything has to be perfect hehe..
Thank you so much, I do love that idea for a bouquet...
Something to keep in mind.. hehe icon_surprised.gif)

auntginn Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:30pm
post #5 of 7

#1 - When I need vibrant colors, I first color my icing with a different color than add plenty of the actual color I want it to be. For example: Deep red. I use orange first, then the red. Hot Pink, the same. or maybe purple. I would try green for the blue coloring. This way instead of you trying to color straight from white it already has some color. and definately let it sit awhile.

#2. I would elevate the main cake and place all of the cupcakes around even at different levels.

#3 - Ditto on ladyhitman18

#4 - When I have cakes that don't meet the standard cake board and box size, I usually go to a box store and they can usually help me with those odd sizes. I have even gone to my local Costco and waited until someone dumps the box from the large tv they just bought. I cut it down to fit my need. hahaha

pastryjen Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 7

To get neon/bright colours, you can use butter flavour crisco in your icing. Unfortunately I haven't done it in a while so you would have to test it out.

Sounds like a wonderful cake. Don't forget to post a picture.

confectioneista Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 7

I've never heard of doing that before with the butter flavored Crisco. Is it because of the "butter" part that makes the colors come out neon? Great tip to know! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%