Multi Occasion Cake- Help!!

Decorating By gottabakenow Updated 18 May 2008 , 1:25am by gottabakenow

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 20

I'm making a cake for a family party on memorial day. the party is for all the occasions in may- a few bdays, my parents anniversary, and mothers day. any idea how i can combine them all? i'm making a sheet cake (9x13). last year i did cupcakes that said happy everything, and I'm thinking that that might be smart. icon_wink.gif any design ideas? my decorating abilities are very limited. icon_rolleyes.gif thanks for any ideas.

Eva

19 replies
KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 20

What about making sorta of a sampler? You could do something like that with Happy Mother's Day in pink, Happy Birthday in festive colors, Happy Anniversary....

I made something similiar at the end of the Wilton 1 course. We had to make cakes that had a lot of what we had learned on it so I made it "sampler" style! lol Could work.....
LL

gottabakenow Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 20

you know, I thought about something like that, but as I said, i really have very limited decorating abilities so it would be very boring. icon_rolleyes.gif I think I'll end up doing a happy everything cake. by the way, anyone have any idea how long it takes for a wilton order to ship? I ordered a few things and was wondering. (regular shipping)

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:20pm
post #4 of 20

Even if all you used were different colored 'squares' that is interesting, and then add some accents...purchased if you can't make yourself, with written in names/dates...simple, but it can be really nice.

Sorry have no clue about Wilton...they don't/won't ship to Europe. icon_sad.gif Check their website for FAQs.

Be sure to post whatever you do, curious to see!! icon_biggrin.gif

gottabakenow Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 20

if i can figure it out, I'm for sure going to post the pic. I also have to post the other cakes that I've done sometime. I'm probably the newbiest-newbie on the site tho. icon_surprised.gificon_redface.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 20

I envision a 3 way 'division': On each upper corner write "Happy Birthday" and "Happy Mother's Day' then centered in the lower part of the cake "Happy Anniversary" . Make a curve of flowers (anything, even a bunch of drop flowers) either over or under the writing. This is very do-able even for a biginnericon_smile.gif If you have the writing abilities you can even add each name.
Add nice, zigzag borders and you'll have a pretty cakeicon_smile.gif

gottabakenow Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #7 of 20

oh another question. usually I use margarine for my icing which makes it stay soft and yeah you know where I'm heading icon_wink.gificon_cry.gif. I can't use crisco cuz my mother would flip if I used trans fats, so would butter be better or would it be the same story? those are my only 2 options so whichever ones a teeny little bit better I'll have to use, even if it means no borders cuz they wilt. thumbsdown.gif

Eva

jodei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodei Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 20

maybe you could use this idea. make a square or maybe even a rectangle cake that looks like a calendar with the month at the top and the rest is a grid with each day marked, then for every occasion you are wanting to celebrate you aknowledge it in each square. you could pretty it up by adding flowers or whatever around the border which can be associated with mothers day, anniversaries, birthdays, etc. we have done this idea with the month of september because we have so many to celebrate and everyone has their "own" day icon_smile.gif HTH

Birdaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Birdaah Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 20

I substitute real butter for the crisco in the regular BC recipe in Wilton, if you make it stiff enough with powdered sugar it works fine, even the borders turn out fine.

gottabakenow Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 20

oooh jodei thank you thank you for that idea! I'd seen a calendar cake like that once before and I loved it! I'll do that- it's perfect. can you tell I'm excited? icon_lol.gif thanks again! oh can anyone answer my frosting question from my previous post?

Eva

gottabakenow Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:45pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdaah

I substitute real butter for the crisco in the regular BC recipe in Wilton, if you make it stiff enough with powdered sugar it works fine, even the borders turn out fine.

oops sorry we posted at the same time. thanks! I guess I'll start using butter, at least when the cake can be dairy.

jodei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodei Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 20

i use the buttercream dream icing that is in the recipe section. i just use the store brand of stick butter, not sure if it has trans fat or not but ever since i started using that recipe, i have nothing but good reviews. also i have not had a problem with not being able to put on borders or flowers, etc. HTH

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:57pm
post #13 of 20

Oh! I like that calendar idea!!!

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:05pm
post #14 of 20

How about a quilt design on the sheet cake. I saw something like that in a wilton year book. You can make nine blocks or 16 depending on how many occasions you are aiming the cake for. 16 will be probably too small to write anything on a 9 X 13 cake. If you us 9 X 9 of 9 blocks of quit, you will be left with some more space which you could use for writing names etc.

Just my though. I am very new to all these too.

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:24pm
post #15 of 20

Try the calendar idea... You could mark the special dates with little fondant birthday cakes, flower for the anniversary, graduation cap if there is a graduation, mothers day, a different flower, or the word "MOM"... etc. I did a July calendar for an employee group birthday and it was a huge hit.
LL

gottabakenow Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:53pm
post #16 of 20

cute cakes, angie! now I'm second guessing myself... is a calendar really a good idea? i only have 4 things to put on it- would it look really boring?

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #17 of 20

I don't think it would be boring at all. The top of the calendar/pic could be your main focal point... something Summery or Memorial Day related, then the special days noted... it wont be boring![/quote]

gottabakenow Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:54pm
post #18 of 20

ok, I'm going to do the calendar cake. thanks for the ideas! I'll let you know when it's done.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:05pm
post #19 of 20

The new Crisco has no trans-fats.

gottabakenow Posted 18 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #20 of 20

oh good point, I'll think about that. who knew icing was such a big deal! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%