Time Crunch Help

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 14 May 2008 , 8:01pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 11

I have a birthday cake due on the 24th im going on vac the 16 will return on the 23 late, i have already baked and froze the cakes, it will be a stacked 12/8 she wants zebra stripes and pink trim heres my dilema i have already made the 16 that is on wires that will be on the top cake and made pink and black stars to go underneath the 16 how far in advance can i make the zebra stripes its going to be on BC icing can i roll and cut them out Thursday and wrap in seran wrap and then would the be ok or should i do them fresh so the will stick on the cake?and i am making the BC icing that has the dream whip in it can i make this ahead of time and put in the frig? just want to save time so when i arrive from vacation i wont have to much to do i will set this cake up on Saturday before 7pm Thanks oh do you think that the Black Zebra striped will fade if i make early

10 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 11

anyone

ashcake Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 11

Sorry I can't help. I haven't done the zebra stripes. I also haven't made the bc your taking about. I'm sure someone on here could help. Just helping you BUMP!

panipuri Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 11

Hi cakebaker,
you can do the zebra stripes, wrap in saran and also put it in a box / sealed container.
It is the same as storing fondant - only you have it rolled and cut. Just make sure it is well sealed and it should be pliable. If you keep the stripes in a cool dark place, it should not fade. I put mine in a box and put it in my pantry away from light.
As for the icing - I have not made that before, so dont know. But most icings can be frozen and then thawed very successfully.
Hope that helps

mellormom Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 11

If you are making the zebra strips out of fondant you can make them ahead of time. The will be hard but still attach nicely. If you want them to be pliable then you would put crisco on them and store them in a plastic bag or saran wrap. You can make icing ahead of time. Sugar is a preservative so as long as you stick it in the fridge you should be ok.
Hope this helps.
Jen...

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:34pm
post #6 of 11

Thank you for responding i think i will make them ahead and try not to let them dry out, i will store them in my hoosier cabinet, im a little concerned with the icing since it has dream whip in it if it will whip back up when i get it out the frig
Thanks everyone

marthajo1 Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #7 of 11

I have never had a big problem with black fading but watch your pink! It fades so fast. I would store any pink things in the dark too!

SpringFlour Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 11

I've made the dream whip icing many times...it will be fine to make ahead and keep it in the fridge.

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:53pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringFlour

I've made the dream whip icing many times...it will be fine to make ahead and keep it in the fridge.

Do you rewhip it when you get it room temp

SpringFlour Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:51pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Yes, just in case anything has separated out. I mix it just long enough to get everything incorporated again...just a minute or two.

cakebaker1957 Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Quote:

Yes, just in case anything has separated out. I mix it just long enough to get everything incorporated again...just a minute or two.

Cool, im set to go Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%