Please Help Me With My First Wedding Cake !!!!

Decorating By umabdurrahman Updated 16 May 2008 , 4:56pm by aswartzw

umabdurrahman Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 22

icon_cry.gif
my fav sil wants me to imitate this cake as closely as i can,without the flower. this is the first wedding cake for me and i don't really know how to make it great. i bought a container if gold dust (about 30 g.) for about $45, is that enough? can i make the fondant ahead of time and freeze it in tupperware? what is the best internal support? please keep in mind, i'm not in the states now and most cool little gadgets and stuff aren't available here. and how to i paint the little gold dots without getting it on the cake?? any any any advice is more than welcome, i want the cake to be perfect for her.
LL

21 replies
gottabakenow Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 22

sorry no advice here, never done a tiered cake, but that is a beautiful cake! I really like that one. oh about the fondant, i know that it's tricky freezing fondant because of some reason that i dont remember right now... i'm sure someone else will be able to help you better. icon_wink.gif

Ironbaker Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 22

That 30g pot of gold dust is MORE than enough. You probably could've gotten away with a few of the small ones. Or maybe some of the PME spray gold luster dust.

When you paint with the gold, mix some of the dust with a few drops of vodka or lemon extract to make a paint.

I don't know about freezing fondant. I'd like to think that would mess up the texture and make it a mess with the condensation but I have no clue. Maybe someone else could advise on that.

Use royal icing for the dots and a small brush. You can paint them while on the cake...you may even be able to make small dots, paint them, then place n the cake. RI dries hard.

Here's some info on the SPS (single plate separator) support system:

http://www.bakingshop.com/weddingcakes/

MiaMia35 Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:39pm
post #4 of 22

I understand your stress. All wedding cakes are pretty stressful. As far as internal support, a friend of mine says she uses straws you cut to size. she has been doing wedding cakes for 20 years. I agree with the Royal icing for the dots but what about mixing the gold into the royal icing and then piping it on. I have never done a whole cake in fondant, ive been perfecting the art of Butter cream smooth as fondant. If you get Butter Cream smooth enough it looks like Fondant.
Also take a deep breath and pretend you have been making wedding cakes your whole life icon_biggrin.gif . Fake til you make it!! works for me icon_lol.gif When your more confident people take you more seriously and you take yourself more seriously.
Your gonna do great thumbs_up.gif

umabdurrahman Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 22

thanks everyone for you help:
miamia, thanks for the boost of confidence icon_smile.gif do straws really work?? regular drinking straws?? what is the best plate to use? i don't know if i can find plastic ones. what about dense foam or that cardboard stuff that is REALLY stiff?

MiaMia35 Posted 15 May 2008 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 22

ive used regular drinking straws and it worked for me. I think the cardboard would be fine as long as you assemble the cake the same day as the wedding, because the grease from the frosting starts to soak into the cardboard.
Youll have to post your pics when its all done.

Good Luck

ANicole Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #7 of 22

Please don't risk using straws! I did this once and will never do it again. If you have a heavy cake, it will tilt!!! Don't risk it for a wedding cake.

The fondant lasts several months in an airtight container. You can make it ahead of time and just nuke it in the microwave (assuming you're using MMF) for about 10 seconds on the day your ready to roll it out. Take it out of the microwave, knead a little, then start rolling. You may need to add some powdered sugar or Crisco to bring it back to life, but you shouldn't need to freeze it.

Good luck!

Amber

pinklesley1 Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 22

you can try what they said ... mixing gold into the RI...
about the supports... you can use wooden dowels... just make sure that u sand and clean them first.. and crisco them to help them slide in easier... about the straws... i wouldnt for a cake that tall... i also use these wilton cut to size supports... they look like HUGE straws.... but dont know if you will be able to get them where u are

smbegg Posted 15 May 2008 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 22

You don't need to freeze the fondant. Just kep it air tight. I would make it a week out or so.

Use wooden dowels for support. Make sure that you have a strong cake board too....masionite, probably 2 layers for a cake that big.

Stephanie

indydebi Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaMia35

I think the cardboard would be fine as long as you assemble the cake the same day as the wedding, because the grease from the frosting starts to soak into the cardboard.

I bake and assemble my cakes on Thursday for a Saturday wedding. I'm also one of the very very few who stay and cut the wedding cake, so I can see first hand how the cardboard is affected. And it's not affected all that much. Cardboard does not disintegrate ... it's not made of rice paper ... it will hold up just fine. I dont' wrap my cardboards either.

TC123 Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:03pm
post #11 of 22

Hi. For support I would use wooden dowels or cake jacks . I don't think straws will work with the size of the cake in the photo. (I wouldn't chance it.) Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll do great! ... Be sure to post photos! icon_smile.gif

SugarBakerz Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 22

I think the amount of gold you have purchased should be more than enough. A little goes a very long way.... as others have said before me, make sure you place it in a liquid form it can dissolve into... vodka, etc... I prefer lemon juice. good luck, post your pic when you are done so we can see you work icon_smile.gif

Laura102777 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:08pm
post #13 of 22

I either use wooden dowels or bubble tea straws. The bubble tea straws are a lot wider, so they are sturdier for support.
LL

umabdurrahman Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:20am
post #14 of 22

thank you all for your help, sorry i haven't replied i was out with a chest infection. the wedding is about 1 month away, and i'll be sure to post pics. would anyone recommend that i make a dummy cake first?? or is that overkill?

umabdurrahman Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:25am
post #15 of 22

btw, anyone know how i can match those green tones? i have the wilton 12pk gel colors. do i agg brown or something?

pinklesley1 Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:35am
post #16 of 22

well that green looks like the moss green of wilton.. just real light and the gold, you could use the ivory as a base...hope you feel better

grama_j Posted 16 May 2008 , 10:48am
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by umabdurrahman

btw, anyone know how i can match those green tones? i have the wilton 12pk gel colors. do i agg brown or something?

Green? I'm not seeing green......

gracecakes Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:05am
post #18 of 22

My first wedding cake is in October. I am going to use wooden dowels. I think doing the dummy cake is a good idea for tow reasons. It is good practice, plus if something happens to the cake (God forbid), you can give your SIL the dummy cake for her wedding and you guys could figure something out for the actual cake.
I am not sure but maybe you can find tiny gold dragee's (can't spell) for the gold dots. Then use pink RI for the centers. Also, for the larger gold accents. you can use that blue tape that people use when they paint or airbrush and that way you won't get gold on the cake. Good luck

wgoat5 Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:07am
post #19 of 22

DO not mix your gold luster into the RI it won't be good enough.. if you want to make the little RI dots true gold paint the luster on.. yes you have to becareful but the luster dust does not have the same effect when mixed into icing...bc, RI anything...

vickymacd Posted 16 May 2008 , 11:20am
post #20 of 22

Ironbaker~
I'm not a professional baker, but I had no idea what the SPS was till your post nor did I know there were things like one time use seperators.

Thank you! I swear I learn something new on CC every day and I've been on here for over a year!

Ironbaker Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:42pm
post #21 of 22

You are most welcome Vicky! That was a big "'learn" for me too when I saw Leahs talking about it.

aswartzw Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #22 of 22

I love the cake!

Fondant can be stored for months at room temp.

I'd suggest usind dowels or SPS; not straws just because your cake is so massive. I cut off straw usage after 3 tiers. thumbs_up.gif

Also, I'd suggest using styrofoam for the short height tier just to save you the trouble of making it.

I second the gold dragees for the centers. Makes life much easier!

Are some of those tiers hand-painted? At first I thought they were air-brushed but I think I see stroke marks in them.

That bottom border can probably be done with RI ahead of time and just attached later.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%