Help! Will My Non-Crusting Buttercream Work With Fondant???

Decorating By lainalee Updated 14 May 2008 , 8:05pm by mjballinger

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 10

icon_confused.gif

9 replies
lainalee Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 10

I did that wrong. The question is , my buttercream does not crust. Will it be ok to use if I then cover with fondant. Not much experience with fondant, will it slip too much?

Valli_War Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valli_War Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 10

As far as I know. (I am just starting to learn cake decorating) you can use non crusting butter cream and cover it with fondant. The only problem is when you lay the fondant on the cake, if you need to move it, you will have to make sure that the part that you cut off has not touched butter cream, else you will have to finish up that fondant. Apart from that, I don't see any problem with this. In fact, non crusting butter cream helps fondant adhere to the cake very easily.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 10

I always used the kind that doesn't crust and my fondant was fine. I just didn't put it on quite as thick as I normally would, but I didn't skimp either.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:33pm
post #5 of 10

I use SMBC (swiss meringue buttercream) on all of my cakes.. it doesn't crust at all. I have no problems with it at all. Infact.. if your BC has a good crust on it.. the fondant won't stick to it so I personally think that non-crusting BC's are better for fondant. I pop my cake in the fridge to allow the BC to get firm and then lay on the fondant. This way you can have a nice thick BC layer under your fondant and it won't all squish out the bottom when you are smoothing it. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 10

Ditto Jkalman.

lainalee Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 10

Whew! Thanks you guys. Love this site! Gonna give it a shot. Wish me luck.

mjballinger Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:18pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I use SMBC (swiss meringue buttercream) on all of my cakes.. it doesn't crust at all. I have no problems with it at all. Infact.. if your BC has a good crust on it.. the fondant won't stick to it so I personally think that non-crusting BC's are better for fondant. I pop my cake in the fridge to allow the BC to get firm and then lay on the fondant. This way you can have a nice thick BC layer under your fondant and it won't all squish out the bottom when you are smoothing it. icon_smile.gif

So does a cake with SMBC not need to be refrigerated? I LOVE it, but for some reason I thought it needed to be refrigerated and I couldn't use fondant on it. Please let me know, I prefer it to powdered sugar buttercreams!
Thanks

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #9 of 10

It can stay out for a couple days.. there's enough sugar in it to preserve it. And you can put fondant (not MMF but real fondant) in the fridge.. you just have to get it to room temp before you touch it. Sometimes you will get some condensation but it will dry and be fine. When I have a fondant cake that needs to be in the fridge I will wait to do the detail work until the day of and it's at room temp so that colors won't run (think royal icing).

mjballinger Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Jeanne! My cakes are about to get a lot yummier!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%