Damask Cake

Decorating By gossipgirl Updated 15 Feb 2010 , 2:29am by 2txmedics

gossipgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gossipgirl Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 11

A bride wants a damask cake like what Wendy Kromer did for Martha Stewart's wedding magazine. How do I transfer the damask pattern into the cake? The Cake will have a white fondant icng, the damask pattern will be pink . I have attached a picture of the cake. please help! Thanks!
LL

10 replies
Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 11

Wendy Kromer had a similar cake in MS's Wedding Cakes book -- her instructions were to have the pattern laid out, cover with waxed paper, and outline in RI, then flood with thinner RI. When dry, place on cake. Of course, make extras. icon_rolleyes.gif

Hope this helps!

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 11

so you're just using your stencil as a pattern then?

How do you turn the corner with the design?

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #4 of 11

i would just lay the stencil onto the sides of the cake and sweep with royal icing. there is a tutorial on how to do this on the website that makes those stencils. www.designerstencils.com i think.

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 11

AWESOME! okay, I was planning on using the stencil to PAINT the fondant. that would certianly work. thanks so much!!

DeeMaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeMaz Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 11

You can also use royal icing to transfer the pattern.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 14 Feb 2010 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 11

Ok, so my daug. will be 16yrs old, and she loves this design...so Im thinking can I do it? Im just a hobby cake person...

so How would I do Damask on the cake??? and I mean SIMPLE...somebody hold my hand!!! lol

I work in BC icing only...dont like fondant....

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:08am
post #8 of 11

For a glossy effect you can use piping gel with food coloring added.

I just place my stencil up against the cake, or on top, and then use a small spatula to paint over the stencil sections onto the cake and then very gently remove the stencil. I love the shinny effect it leaves.

2txmedics Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:28am
post #9 of 11

Ok so I can use piping gel and food coloring for a different effect...but what if I want the reg...is that reg. b/c icing? if so how thin...or is it RI???

and how in the heck would I hold the Stencil from not moving while I do this?...on the BC?...lol

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 12:29am
post #10 of 11

I did one for my daughters wedding. Have now done a total of 9. They of course get easier as you go. But, I have found that if you make a pin hole in the stencil at each end. ( use a pin with a head) then pin the stencil onto your cake. Make the hole before you pin it on cake or you will squash it as you insert pin. Yes, it rally does work. Then I have used mainly buttercream. It works great. I have used the stencil on buttercream with buttercream. But, it took a lot of work. Now I insist they buy fondant base or I will not do it. I have a question....How do you pronounce it?

da mask or dam ask What is your opinion?

2txmedics Posted 15 Feb 2010 , 2:29am
post #11 of 11

Thank you, I guess I just need to try it and see what happens...lol....Ive read on it all day long...whew!!!!

I say "Da Mask"....anywho...someone also said piping gel colored with food coloring works good....for a glassy look....

thanks bunches!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%