Making Red Mmf??

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 15 May 2008 , 10:56pm by leily

disneynutbsv Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:27am
post #1 of 9

I've been adding more red and more red (Americolor Red Red) and it just seems to be getting orange. My hands hurt from kneadingicon_sad.gif And I ran out of gloves so my hands are a funky color right now, lol.

Is there an easier way to make red?

8 replies
MnSnow Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:35am
post #2 of 9

I found a way to make true red. Start with burgandy, knead it in and then add no taste red. Makes a beautiful red

disneynutbsv Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:54am
post #3 of 9

I'll try that next time, thanks!

sugardaze Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:14am
post #4 of 9

Start with the color pink than add red. You will end up wasting less red color.

imagine76 Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:31am
post #5 of 9

the only time i've made it i started with strawberry mmf (made with the pink strawberry mms) not too shabby!

laurynrn Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #6 of 9

Whenever I make a dark color I always take the fondant to a different room to look at it. I have those energy saving light bulbs that alter the color so my color looks different in each room depending on the bulbs and what kind of lamp they are in. My red often looks orange too in my kitchen but when I take into the dining room it looks much better. I also use pink mm to start with. But since I found Satin Ice...no more MMF for me!

mindywith3boys Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 9

Start by adding red kool-aid to melted marshmallows before you add it to the powdered sugar. thumbs_up.gif

Starkie Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #8 of 9

I always color my MMF when the MM are still soupy. That way you don't have to knead as much! Also, I start out with a dark pink, then add red. I tend to have to add a lot of red, though...

leily Posted 15 May 2008 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkie

I always color my MMF when the MM are still soupy. That way you don't have to knead as much! Also, I start out with a dark pink, then add red. I tend to have to add a lot of red, though...

Same here! I always color the melted MM before adding the PS. This also helps you still be able to control the consistency of the fondant as the more color you add the softer it is... so if you can add as much powder sugar as you need to get the right consistency it saves a lot of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%