Funny Tasting Filling

Decorating By lisa78332 Updated 15 May 2008 , 2:10am by vdrsolo

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:31pm
post #1 of 10

Okay, so I made a cake for a quinceanera this past weekend. Three of the cakes had vanilla pudding filling. One was chocolate, one yellow, and one marble. I received an email today from the mom thanking me for the cake, how beautiful it was etc etc etc. She then went on to tell me that all the cake was good except that the marble cake filling tasted "funny." She's a good friend of mine, and is actually bringing me a piece of it so I can try it. I really do appreciate this, cuz she's not asking for a refund or anything because I actually gave her a really really good price for it. My question is, has this ever happened to anyone? Or do you think it was the marble cake, vanilla pudding combo. I am totally clueless.

9 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 10

Did you mix the pudding up all at the same time? If you did, then it had to be the combination of the cake and the pudding, because if it tasted okay in the other cakes there couldn't have been anything wrong with it. When she brings some over, try the filling by itself, then with the cake. If it's just the combination, make a mental note to not use it again...As long as you mixed the pudding up together, though, it wouldn't be that something was wrong with the pudding itself.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 10

Was the pudding supposed to be kept in the fridge? How many days has it been sitting out? Did it taste funny when they first cut it? If it did, how long had it been out of the fridge if at all?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #4 of 10

That's a good point...If nothing else, you don't want to eat pudding that's been sitting out if she brings it to you and she hasn't had it refrigerated! If one was out and the others were in the fridge before delivery, then that could have affected the filling. If that's the case it could answer the question.

On another note, how are you using real pudding for a filling? I've seen that a couple of times on CC today, and I can't imagine that the pudding wouldn't soak through the cake and make it really mushy. Do you add anything to it to stabilize it? I'd never think to use pudding because I just wouldn't expect it to holdup, but I could be wrong. I usually use flavored meringue buttercreams for fillings, or fruit preserves/curds spread thin, or truffle fillings, but I've never tried pudding.

lisa78332 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa78332 Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 10

I asked the mom how long she had left it out and if it was still out. She said she didn't put it in the fridge when they got home and didn't try it until Sunday. So that would be at least 24 hours out of the fridge. I have yet to try it, but now I really don't plan to since its STILL out of the fridge.

I did mix the pudding all at the same time, So I am leaning towards the fact that its the combination. I did try the chocolate with the vanilla pudding that same night, and it was great! I have used pudding as a filling in the past, and I don't add anything extra, I just put it in the fridge to let it thicken up. I try to use just a little less milk than required.

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:32pm
post #6 of 10

My first thought was she may have left it out too long. Or if it took you a while to complete that particular cake after filling it with the pudding it may have gotten too warm. Then if she left it out for a while before eating it the pudding may have turned. I donât use pudding as a filling but I do make a lot of mousses. I have to be careful when Iâm working on a cake that has mousse in it. If it is taking me too long to complete the decorating Iâll stick the cake back in the fridge.

Usually it takes a while for fillings that need to stay cool to go bad but you never can be too careful. I had a customer call me a few days after sheâd picked up the cake to tell me the leftovers tasted funny. She had forgotten she needed to put it back in the fridge and the filling went bad after sitting on the counter for 3 days. Imagine that.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 10

This is exactly the reason why I do not use perishable fillings in my cakes...because you never know how long the cake will sit out and more than likely....the client will not refrigerate it (most customers are ordering a cake for a party...their fridge is already full....most don't have the room to store a cake in there as well!).

You also never know how many errands someone may run after picking up the cake...leaving a cake in a warm car while running into the grocery store for example.

Next time, instead of vanilla pudding....try using the sleeved vanilla bavarian cream filling, it's delicious!! And....it does not need to be refrigerated.

I'm glad this is a friend..just in case the pudding did go bad. It's always good to be on the safe side and use nonperishable fillings!

Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:40pm
post #8 of 10

Quick question for vdrsolo, where do you find the vanilla bavarian cream filling?? Sounds yummy icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 10

See this is where I am a little different... I haven't tried the sleeved fillings.. but for some reason I am scared to. And really don't want to even. NOt that they are nasty.. how do I know.. cause I am a wuss and won't try them. But the only time I use any kind of mousse type filling is when it is chocolate or a berry mouse using whipped cream or cream cheese whipped mouse.

And I know I am goofy but I don't even eat the packaged puddings or anything like that...just my opinion.. if I had my choice of offering the sleeved or nothing.. then I wouldn't do it.. I always put a sticker on the box .. needs refrigeration.. or I put it in my contract. Also it is a good idea to put the date somewhere on the box.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:10am
post #10 of 10

You can find the sleeved fillings at most specialty cake decorating supply stores (not Micheals or Hobby Lobby) or online.

I normally order mine through Country Kitchen or The Baker's Kitchen, CK is the cheapest, it depends on what other items I'm ordering. Just do a search for "pastry filling" from whatever place you buy from.

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx?description=pastry%20filling&page=-1

I absolutely love them, and they are very convenient. I just put a twistie tie on the end of the bag and throw it into a couple of freezer bags and store the leftover in the fridge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%