Vent And Changing Fondant Pearl Color

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 14 May 2008 , 1:25am by pjaycakes

pjaycakes Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 5

So I have this lady whose wedding is on the 25th of this month. She sent me pictures of her flower colors a few months ago (Lavendar and pink roses). So in order to kind of incorporate both colors into her fondant pearls that will be on her cake I make them a mauve kind of color (250 of them). So I get an email from her today saying she forgot to tell me that she dropped the lavendar color and is now going with hot pink and white roses.

Do I need to redo the pearls or can I just kind of roll them in some tissue paper and recolor them with the pink color?

Why do people always think to tell the cake decorator last when they change something icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

4 replies
bethola Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 5

I have a clause in my contract that says the bride can make changes up to 4 weeks before the wedding. After that, NO MAJOR CHANGES unless she is willing to pay a hefty "fine".

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY pearls? This will sound ludicrous (although not as ludicrous as FORGETTING the cake decorator) but can you paint them with bright pink luster dust? I know it will take forever, but, that is all I can think of. Oh, and, you ARE charging extra, right?

Beth in KY

SpringFlour Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 5

When I read this, I had a strong reaction, so waited a few minutes to respond. icon_wink.gif Perhaps the bride thought you'd wait until the day before the wedding and prepare all the decorations? I don't have any help for changing the color of the pearls, but I do have a contract addition suggestion..."Cake design and color may not be changed within 30 days of the wedding." It's your time and materials that are being wasted when last minute changes are made. Sorry I'm not more help with the immediate problem...someone else out there will know how to fix things, I'm sure.

TexasSugar Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 5

Why not try mixing the new color with some alcohol, like everclear or gin or vodka and dipping/rolling the pearls in the new color. If you had luster dust you could do this as well. By mixing the luster dust with the alcohol it will deep the color up and make it more vibrant.

pjaycakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #5 of 5

I think I will try mixing the in the container with a piece of cotton and try to get the extra powder off them and then try painting them.

Normally I tell them 3 weeks on changes, but I work with the girl's dad and it was one of those he was suppose to tell me and he thought she emailed me and then no one remembered if they told me there were two colors in the first place.

Anyway I'll try anything. All it can do is not work and I'll have to start over.

Thanks for the help and letting me vent. icon_smile.gif

Another Lesson Learned!!

I'll let you know if it works. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%