Help! First Wedding Cake And First Client Meet-Up.

Decorating By stacylambert Updated 13 May 2008 , 9:34pm by Cakebelle

stacylambert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacylambert Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 4

Up until this point I've only done cakes for family, practice, and a couple donated ones. Well I just booked a wedding cake and I'm so excited! She wants to meet this weekend to discuss it and was wondering what I should take with me/be prepared to discuss?

Also, the cakes she wants is a 3 story cake with a castle topper and waterfall. Has anybody done a cake like this before or have any tips? Her colors are purple, gold, and white.

BTW, pricing is not an issue.

Thanks,
Stacy

3 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 4

Do you have a license to bake cakes? I know in Cali you aren't allowed to do it from your home and they are pretty strict about it so I just wanted to make sure. icon_smile.gif

I usually have people over to my home for consults. I bake them some samples (a 6" cake and 6 cupcakes) so they can taste what I have to offer. I ask them to come with pictures and swatches and anything else they might think is pertinient to their cake and some idea of what they might like to see in a cake. I have my dummies here so we can play with configurations and we will go over the number of guests they invited and have fun talking about their wedding plans and come up with ideas on how to make their cake special for their day. I have pictures of cakes I have done for them to look through as well. When they leave they have a copy of my flavors, my serving chart, my price page and my FAQ's page along with a copy of their contract if they have already made the decision to book. In order to book they must put down 50% of their total cake cost.

Good luck! It's a lot of fun.

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 4

here's a thread where everyone shared how they do their tastings. it got killed in the Crash of '08, but it's still readable, just if you post it gets lost. icon_wink.gif

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-14134.html

HTH

edited cuz I forgot the link icon_redface.gif
edited again cuz i put the wrong link. gosh whats wrong with me! icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 4

Don't forget to act like you know what you're doing! icon_wink.gif
There is a link on the Knot site about wedding cake Q&A, read it through, I've noticed that brides ask all the questions that are on that site!
www.theknot.com/weddingcakes

Good Luck! Like jkalman said it is fun indeed! icon_biggrin.gif

~Vicky

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%