Sounds Strange To Me

Business By Jenn2179 Updated 14 May 2008 , 6:40pm by LNW

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 8

So I had a girl and her mom come last night for a tasting. They had been to someone else and did not like her cakes taste or her icing. They loved mine and wanted a 4 tier cake. They are serving about 100 people. They said the other cake person quoted them at $3.25 x 100 = $325 for a 4 tier cake. The mom told me the lady told her she didn't charge for the 4th tier. It was going to be a 6in, 8in, 10in, and 12 in cake which according to my math serves 134. That's a lot of servings she isn't getting paid for. I just can't imagine ever saying, "Well you only need to serve 100 people but want a 4 tier cake so I will only charge for the 100 servings." What do you think? Doesn't matter really as I will price it out as I normally do. If they don't go with me then someone else will come along. They did tell me they LOVED my cakes and really liked me so we shall see.

7 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 8

Well, according to Earlene's chart it would feed 98 - and that's including the top tier. So it's very easy that maybe she uses a combination of Earlen's chart and Wilton's.

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 8

That is strange, maybe they meant the 6 inch a lot of people throw in the 6 inch.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:07am
post #4 of 8

I estimate 6-8-10-12 as 98 servings not including the top tier, so that makes sense to me. Everyone uses different charts, but I turned my pans upside down to mark off the actual 1"x 2" measurements then used that, so that's how I got the 98. Don't worry about how someone else estimates it, just use your own charts and price it how you want to.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 8

My chart says 94. I looked at earlene's and wilton's, then took a couple servings off Earlene's. I understand that servings sizes are specific when you cut, but I want to allow for mistakes...it really does not affect y cost to throw in an extra serving or two.
Also, I do not charge for the 6" tier, i give a free anniversary cake.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 8

I too give an anniversary tier but I make it fresh for their first anniversary so I charge for the 6 in since they are cutting and serving it.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 8

uhm, yeah that's what i meant. i don't charge for the 6" if they are saving, but if not I give them the fresh tier on anniversary. Obviously not enough coffee this am.

Julia

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 8

Sounds like sheâs throwing in the anniversary tier for free. I know a lot of decorators who do that. Personally I charge for every tier and tell the couple to contact me on their 1st anniversary and Iâll make them a fresh tier for free. Iâve yet to have anyone actually remember to call me so far. Which is why I do it that way icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%