Sounds Strange To Me

Business By Jenn2179 Updated 14 May 2008 , 6:40pm by LNW

Jenn2179 Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 8

So I had a girl and her mom come last night for a tasting. They had been to someone else and did not like her cakes taste or her icing. They loved mine and wanted a 4 tier cake. They are serving about 100 people. They said the other cake person quoted them at $3.25 x 100 = $325 for a 4 tier cake. The mom told me the lady told her she didn't charge for the 4th tier. It was going to be a 6in, 8in, 10in, and 12 in cake which according to my math serves 134. That's a lot of servings she isn't getting paid for. I just can't imagine ever saying, "Well you only need to serve 100 people but want a 4 tier cake so I will only charge for the 100 servings." What do you think? Doesn't matter really as I will price it out as I normally do. If they don't go with me then someone else will come along. They did tell me they LOVED my cakes and really liked me so we shall see.

7 replies
ccr03 Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 8

Well, according to Earlene's chart it would feed 98 - and that's including the top tier. So it's very easy that maybe she uses a combination of Earlen's chart and Wilton's.

4them Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 8

That is strange, maybe they meant the 6 inch a lot of people throw in the 6 inch.

costumeczar Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:07am
post #4 of 8

I estimate 6-8-10-12 as 98 servings not including the top tier, so that makes sense to me. Everyone uses different charts, but I turned my pans upside down to mark off the actual 1"x 2" measurements then used that, so that's how I got the 98. Don't worry about how someone else estimates it, just use your own charts and price it how you want to.

acookieobsession Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 8

My chart says 94. I looked at earlene's and wilton's, then took a couple servings off Earlene's. I understand that servings sizes are specific when you cut, but I want to allow for really does not affect y cost to throw in an extra serving or two.
Also, I do not charge for the 6" tier, i give a free anniversary cake.

Jenn2179 Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 8

I too give an anniversary tier but I make it fresh for their first anniversary so I charge for the 6 in since they are cutting and serving it.

acookieobsession Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 8

uhm, yeah that's what i meant. i don't charge for the 6" if they are saving, but if not I give them the fresh tier on anniversary. Obviously not enough coffee this am.

LNW Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 8

Sounds like sheâs throwing in the anniversary tier for free. I know a lot of decorators who do that. Personally I charge for every tier and tell the couple to contact me on their 1st anniversary and Iâll make them a fresh tier for free. Iâve yet to have anyone actually remember to call me so far. Which is why I do it that way icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%