How Do I Carve/shape This....

Decorating By lorijom Updated 14 May 2008 , 12:37am by lorijom

lorijom Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making this nintendo game cassette for a friend's birthday and the word is that he would like it be as accurate as possible. I will be carving a chocolate cake and I can't figure out how to get the illusion of this end of the cake.

I made a gumpaste strip for the middle but what should I do to create the indented look.... I've thought of cardboard strips under the fondant to shape the fondant around or even carving the actual cake no more than 1/2 inch deep but I'm worried that even that would cave in. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....
LL

3 replies
matwogirls Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 4

I just used gumpaste for the first time this week, would that or fondant dry hard enough to shape like that?

just a thought,
Janice

leily Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 4

I would probably use gumpaste at the end also. Make your cake and then put the gumpaste strip in the middle and then the gumpaste strips on the edge of the cake so you get the indented look.

HTH

lorijom Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:37am
post #4 of 4

Thank you for the advice icon_smile.gif I think I'll do gumpaste strips for the edges and then maybe try to wrap my fondant around them when I'm covering the cake so it looks like all one piece.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%