Another Website - Just Starting Tips Needed

Business By CoveredInCake Updated 13 May 2008 , 11:13pm by Bossy

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 13 May 2008 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 9

Hey, you guys have such good ideas. I have been reading the website threads and I wanted to add mine so I can get soem ideas on what to do with it.

I'm new. I'm just starting out and I have already found one major mistake I've made. I did not take pictures of the 2 wedding cakes that I did that look good. So the gallery really needs some better cakes. I plan on making some just for that purpose next week. icon_smile.gif

Please let me know what you think and what you would change. THanks so much in advance!!!!!!!!!!!

Http://CoveredinCake.com[/url]

8 replies
CoveredInCake Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 9

We are going to put up a sign "no orders until August 1st" after you guys have a look at the site. Me and another lady, who isn't a computer person but has tons of experience, are trying to open up. I just went ahead and made the website.... It's going to have her pictures on it too. As soon as I can get those from her.

cakeryluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryluv Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:55pm
post #3 of 9

First of all, I really like the clean, classy layout. Very easy on the eyes, which is great! It's nicely laid out with obvious navigation, so that's good too.

From a functionality standpoint, the only thing I dislike is having the current tab "disappear" when you click on it. It was easy for me to lose track of what tab I was on and which I had gone to because I couldn't see the one I was on. Could just be me, but I'd rather see all 4 tabs showing all the time.

Also, I didn't proofread at all, but one error on the home page caught my eye...in the chocolate fountain section you have frestest instead of freshest. icon_smile.gif

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 9

it's very well done. thumbs_up.gif a couple of typos i found- on the home page under chocolate fountain it says caterer instead of cater and frestest instead of freshest. under purple fantasy birthday cake on the home page it says yummie instead of yummy. under getting married, it says exaclty instead of exactly. under we also do parties, it says thier instead of their (twice). on the information page at the bottom it says sorry for the inconvience- should be inconvience. phew thats it. if someone pointed these things out while i typed this all up, my apologies. icon_rolleyes.gif

CoveredInCake Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 9

Oh! Sorry about the typos. When I get to typing... LOL I'll go fix those first.
I will also add the other tab on!! Thanks so much!!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 9

lol no prob. i proofread a magazine and love it, so i automatically see typos all over. icon_redface.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 9

I think it's great! Other than the typos I couldn't find anything wrong.........
I love your tagline about the typos! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Good Luck with your venture!

~Vicky

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:59pm
post #8 of 9

I love the dark background with the swirl design. It makes your pictures shine because the background juse melts away into, well, the background! Did you design that part yourself or is it from a template? I would love to have something similar for my own website, but in dark purple. For some reason I'm into purple for my business. Strange, since I don't really care for purple, unless it's on a hydrangea. icon_smile.gif

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 9

Your off to a nice start! I had no problems navigating your site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%