Wedding Cake Shop Outside Of Home... How Often Do They Fail?

Business By Katied75 Updated 14 May 2008 , 12:42am by cakesondemand

Katied75 Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 6

I know there are quite a few that have successful shops, but it seems that most of them are in major cities. We have a bunch of successful cake shops in Boston and Providence, but there are no shops anywhere near me. That caused me to wonder if a cake shop can be successful outside of a major city.

Do any of you own successful shops in towns of 60,000 people or less? How would you go about testing the need for a higher end cake shop in your town? Thanks everybody... This board is a wealth of knowledge.

Katie

5 replies
cakeryluv Posted 13 May 2008 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 6

I think you have to look at competition and opportunities in different ways...what may work in one town of 60,000 won't work in another.

But, the largest town near me is just over 60,000 and they sustain 3 bakeries (not including the grocery store type) just fine. And I'm hoping the area can tolerate one more, being me! icon_smile.gif

The advantage near me is the quantity of smaller towns around that do not have any options of anything other than grocery store quality. Plus, in that larger city the bakeries are a bit old-school. Only one person does fondant at all. I'm also surrounded by other large cities that I hopefully can pull business from, which is another thing to consider. How far are you willing to market yourself?

Katied75 Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 6

I've got awhile to go but before I decide whether to keep this at the hobby level or actually try for a career, I wanted to look at the success in my area. And I have searched and to tell you the truth, there are no cake shops really advertised in my area. There are no bakeries, other than the grocery stores. And I'm talking in the surround towns too, with huundreds of thousands of people total.

So now I'm wondering if there are no cake shops because the area citizens just don't have a desire for that sort of thing. I know many use the grocery store bakeries, and perhaps since that's what they all do now... higher priced cakes won't be ordered.

Or, perhaps since there is no immediate competition, I'll find that the area has been just waiting for something like this. I know that for my own wedding cake, I had to drive 40 minutes to the bakery recommended by my reception site. The site was in my area, nice town, etc... but the bakery was in a rougher city that I don't generally travel to. However, I did have to go there for my cake... there were no closer businesses offered.

Katie

johnniekake Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:22pm
post #4 of 6

The town I have my shop in is 45,000 people.................I'm the only shop in town for what I do................its a hard town to start a business in.....85% fail..............I dont actually even live in this town..............rent is cheap..................thats how I ended up there.

My cakes are high end......... compared to what else thats around........every single day I get someone that GASPS when I quote them a price icon_razz.gif (my skin is getting pretty thick)but with that.... there is some one else that will pay for it.......I dont think it matters were you are located.... your gonna always get mixed reactions from people, its always gonna be a risk to take the first step.

When I opened my shop I didnt test the market,or do any research..........I followed my dream,my heart,my passion, and jumped in without giving it a second thought.............Sounds pretttty stupid written down............but if I thought about it to much I would have chickened out!!! icon_lol.gif My brain would have talked my heart out of it!

So basically I really dont have any good advise icon_confused.gif .............But March 1st was my 5 year anniversary.................Blind Faith? HMMMMMMMMMM

Katied75 Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 6

Congratulations johnniekake. It seems like you still have enthusiasm for what you do too, which is great.

Katie

cakesondemand Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:42am
post #6 of 6

Way to go, now I don't feel so bad I did it the same way.... and its still going gets busier every week.

When I opened my shop I didnt test the market,or do any research..........I followed my dream,my heart,my passion, and jumped in without giving it a second thought.............Sounds pretttty stupid written down............but if I thought about it to much I would have chickened out!!! My brain would have talked my heart out of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%