Received Order 4 Castle..to Feed 300!!!! Help!!!

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 29 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm by mindywith3boys

wgoat5 Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 28

I wasn't going to take this one... I promised myself that I was going to take a break after this last couple of weeks. I thought once I told them 3.50 a serving for this I would of detered them and it didn't. THEN I said well... if I use fondant for detail I have to bump it up to 4.00.. WELL>. that didn't work so 4.00 it is!!!

Now help me.. They know I haven't done a castle cake but have faith in my work (UGHH). This would be due the day before I leave on vacation in June so I have a few weeks ..

Where do I start? It is for a girl... they said incorporate LOTS of pink.. doesn't matter if there are flowers icon_confused.gif .. make it look whimsical.. not serious.. 1 flavor.. white...no filling.. well filling with just bc.. but she specified a THIN layer.. so no real buldge problem I don't think.

I guess I am thinking .. WHY ME? I know my work isn't up to par. And the way I have been feeling I dunno....I give up on myself sometimes.

What are your suggestions... How do I make it into a castle, incorporate 300 servings....and make it EASY for them to carve. Any pics would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

27 replies
buttercreamkisses Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 28

I have no experience in making castles or feeding three hundred people but could you do sheet cakes for the extra?

Ohhh-or use 4" cake rectangles stacked around the castle like the outer wall. The castle itself sits inside stacked on a med. sheet cake (decorated as the lawn, stone walks, ponds).

Babarooskie Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 28

WOW that is a big order!

Well, I was thinking.... did they say they wanted the whole cake to be the castle or can you make like 3 or 4 tiers of cake and then a castle on top?

Like something like this from pink cake box:
LL

wgoat5 Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 28

ohhh .. icon_cry.gif oh why oh why did I take this cake.. that is a BEAUTIFUL cake but I believe WAY OUT of my leage icon_cry.gif they want it ALL castle

Cake_Princess Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I wasn't going to take this one... I promised myself that I was going to take a break after this last couple of weeks. I thought once I told them 3.50 a serving for this I would of detered them and it didn't. THEN I said well... if I use fondant for detail I have to bump it up to 4.00.. WELL>. that didn't work so 4.00 it is!!!

CONGRATULATION!!!!

Quote:
Quote:

Now help me..

I'll be right over to help you bake. LOL.. Kidding.

Quote:
Quote:

Where do I start? It is for a girl... they said incorporate LOTS of pink.. doesn't matter if there are flowers icon_confused.gif .. make it look whimsical.. not serious.. 1 flavor.. white...no filling.. well filling with just bc.. but she specified a THIN layer.. so no real buldge problem I don't think.

Start with taking a couple of deep breaths. Sit and make a sketch. If you need inspiration look in the gallery or google images of castles.

Quote:
Quote:

I guess I am thinking .. WHY ME? I know my work isn't up to par. And the way I have been feeling I dunno....I give up on myself sometimes.

What are your suggestions... How do I make it into a castle, incorporate 300 servings....and make it EASY for them to carve. Any pics would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif

Come on!!! Your work is pretty good (I can't use my traditional phrase "pretty decent" 'cause the forum phrase police will think I am being rude). *Sigh* I love that phrase but alas I digress.

Remember all you basic principles of assembling cakes. It applies to all cakes no matter what. Use Dowels to provide support when necessary.

Figure out how high your cake will be. This will also help you to determine where you will be placing dowels. Also, you need to know what size cakes you will be baking.

Turrets can be made out of Rice Krispies Treats covered in fondant. Use dowels to attach to the main Castle.

The brick pattern can be achieved using light panel covers. You can get them at Home Depot.

If you don't have a airbrush, you can get that mottled look that will give you more depth on the walls of the castle by using a sponge to apply color to your base color.

Hope this helps.

chassidyg Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:15pm
post #6 of 28

I don't know anything about making a castle, but I looked at your other cakes, and they are gorgeous! What about something in the yearbook from this year for inspiration. You could take one of those ideas, and probably run with it.

What about a candyland type of cake castle?

bisbqueenb Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:16pm
post #7 of 28

One of the recent Challenges on the food network was about castle cakes. Maybe you can catch a rerun....One was using the sheet cakes in the center and decorating around the outside with candy, fondants, chocolate....what ever....

wgoat5 Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 28

Ok I am having a brain fart... I know I have to do it at least 4 layers high... in 1 size.. and then layers on top of those ... in different sizes... between the first four layers I need to board and dowell.. so it will be easy to cut.. I want to think of that first.. because I won't be there to carve it for them I have to think ease of carvabilitity LOL (i love that word)

mindywith3boys Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 28

Christi,

I have no advice about castles, but I to think you're being waaay too hard on you self! Your work is amazing! I can't even imaging getting $1200 for a cake. WOO HOO! That's fabulous! thumbs_up.gif

mommyle Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:40pm
post #10 of 28

Hi there.
http://benchmark.20m.com/projects/Castle/ProjectCastle1.JPG
This is the lego castle. What about doing something like this? it would be sheet cakes and square cakes. Dowel the heck out of it! Remeber the Ace of Cakes episode where the castle collapsed? it was because Geoff didn't put enough STRUCTURE in it!!!
You can get Makins templates that you "smush" into your fondant to get the stone look. And Marble your fondant in greys and whites. Or Pink and whites, considering it's for a girl. Then use darker pinks to outline the windows of the castle. Pipe green vines up the side of the castle walls, and use drop-flowers to accent.

You can do it!!! And your work IS that good! These people obviously believe in you. You should too!!!

Ladivacrj Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #11 of 28

First of all, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!

I may not be much help but a couple of things come to mind.

A sheet cake as the grounds may help with the number fo servings with the castle built on top of it, it will start you off with some great height.

Sounds like Doug would be a great help with this one.

Good Luck take pics along the way.

Should be fun!!!! And some extra vacation money icon_lol.gif

gigger Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:53pm
post #12 of 28

I don't know if this will help but it might be a place to start.
You can put it on a two layered square or rectangle cake that would
give you a large amout of your serving. You can also make some of the
towers out of starfoam or use a paper tube covered in fondant.. The icecream cones work well for the tops. Good luck.
SEE ATTACHMENT!
LL

shisharka Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:00pm
post #13 of 28

Oh, CASTLE, me LUVS castles!!! Can I make, pretty please? icon_smile.gif

Here are a bunch of pics I had saved on my computer from various sites (sorry, cannot give the appropriate credit to the designers individually) when I was looking into making a fortress cake for hubby (ahm, not girlie at all, hehe, the BloodRayne in my pics)â¦

Iâd say, to accommodate the number of servings, maybe make each castle âstoreyâ out of two tiers of cake, boarded and doweled, then go wild with the decorations⦠textured walls, ivy with tons of flowers crawling up the turrets (ice cream cones or even better, a 1/2 to 3/4" thin sheet cake, rolled into a swiss roll, then stood up â even more servings!), butterflies, fairies, glitter, etc. Oh, this would be sooo much fun!!!! I guarantee you that after the initial apprehension you feel towards this cake, youâre going to truly enjoy making it! Good luck!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Mike1394 Posted 13 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 28

You'll be fine. Plus look at all the extra $$$$ you'll have for vaca. Sorry, but I got to say it. With your talent, piece of cake. LOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

If it doesn't slow ya down, and cause much stress. Can you take constuction pics along the way?

Thanks,
Mike

Babarooskie Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:13pm
post #15 of 28

You're being way to hard on yourself!! I was just browsing through your pictures and you have extreme talent!

If you can do that shoe cake and that purse cake, I think the castle cake will be no challenge. I'm pretty sure you can make square cakes stacked and doweled and decorate with fondant/gumpaste for the windows.

Just sit back, relax, breathe, and start baking! Imagine what you can do with $1200!!! A new mixer perhaps?? LOL icon_lol.gif

mcelromi1 Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:28pm
post #16 of 28

This is probably way more cake than you need...but you get the idea.
Its really round cakes, flowers and cake toppers. It's all about how you put it together.
If you scroll down she has a list of what she used and a few tips.

I LOVE this cake!!!!

http://www.pat-t-cakes.com/Gallery-CastleCakes/pages/TrishaAndRic.htm

lorijom Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:36pm
post #17 of 28

Christi, if you come up with a castle design that you love and it just won't feed enough people I would add landscaping. You know a few sheet cakes level where the castle will sit and then carved to look like gently sloping fields around it...add a few trees and any other pretties and voila you've got cake to feed 300!! icon_smile.gif

Auryn Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #18 of 28

If you can make a shoe and a school bus you can make a castle
and you already did those other two, you'll be fine

my persona vote is for something like the picture named 'isabella cake'
I think that will be the easiest structurally and let you play with the 'whimsical' factor

relax
breath

wgoat5 Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:09am
post #19 of 28

Thank you all for your advice and help icon_smile.gif

I called the customer last night to see if she would mind me "incorporating" the castle into a tiered round set up. She said no she didn't care but wanted most of it to look like the castle.. SO... I decided on going with a design like this one by SugarShack... I love the colors but think I will change the blue to another color (I have such a hard time with blue)

But to feed 300 which I havent ever done what would be my sizes?
'
LL

sugardaze Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:51am
post #20 of 28

I made a small castle cake for my daughter's second birthday. I even omitted 2 towers because I did not have enough paper towel rolls to wrap the fondant over. The design was from Carol Deacon's 2-hour party cake books. You wrap fondant over plastic covered paper towel rolls for easy removal. You have to make the towers at least 24 - 36 hours ahead for drying time. The turrets are ice-cream cones and white chocolate wafers. I used royal icing to attach everything. You could just add tiers to the castle cake and keep adding towers. I made the brick pattern using a metal ruler. I hope this helps. Good luck.

mindywith3boys Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:15pm
post #21 of 28

Christi,

I keep waiting for pictures of your castle cake. When is it due?

wgoat5 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:20pm
post #22 of 28

Mindy.. I totally forgot to post this... I freaked out... I didn't take it... I am a loser... but I am totally scared of big cakes icon_sad.gif

I'm trying to over come this fear so I can do weddings icon_sad.gif

foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:24pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Mindy.. I totally forgot to post this... I freaked out... I didn't take it... I am a loser... but I am totally scared of big cakes icon_sad.gif

I'm trying to over come this fear so I can do weddings icon_sad.gif

Okay, I just can't take it anymore! icon_mad.gificon_lol.gif
If I even had a tenth of your talent I would be cakin for weddings like crazy! I love your cakes, and I KNOW if you would just try a big one, it would be a huge success thumbs_up.gif

wgoat5 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:32pm
post #24 of 28

Thanks momma icon_smile.gif

I think when I am ready it will hit me like a ton of bricks icon_smile.gif

CakeWhizz Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:36pm
post #25 of 28

Christi, you CAN so do this. You know the saying 'feel the fear and do it anyway'? Well I think you should look at this as an excellent opportunity. What really helped me was Indydebi's quote that a tiered cake is just birthday cakes put together. As long as the main cakes are dowelled and supported properly, you will be fine. The towers and turrets can be a pain, but what I do is to make them well in advance from gelatine fondant (it tends to be quite damp here in the UK and nothing dries when it's supposed to) using a template and assemble them using really stiff royal icing on the fondant. Good luck and I can't wait to see the pics!

foxymomma521 Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 4:40pm
post #26 of 28

Christi-
I hope those bricks fall soon! LOL
But seriously, have you considered "donating" your time to a big cake, and just charging for ingredients? I hope nobody gets mad at me for suggesting this, but maybe it would take the pressure off and help you get your feet wet?
ETA: when I say big I mean like 150, not 300 icon_wink.gif

PinkZiab Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:07pm
post #27 of 28

well I guess you know the market in your area, but I cannot imagine doing a castle cake for 300 people for $4 a serving... sounds to me like they are getting the deal of the century! Your work is beautiful--it'll be great!

What i really want to know is, who is the little girl that's going to have 300 people at her party? lol

*** added after

I just read the rest of the posts after I responded (typical me lol) and see you didn't take it. Don't beat yourself up. You definitely are capable of it. Your work is great. There will be more castles, for sure!

mindywith3boys Posted 29 Jun 2008 , 5:09pm
post #28 of 28

Christi,

You have soooo much talent. You need some confidence! You could have easily done this. And I think you're wrong. It's not going to "hit" you when you're ready... It's like kids...If you wait until you are "ready" to have them...You never will. You just have to bite the bullet! I agree with the above poster, the first wedding cake I did was pretty much a freebie. I only charged for the ingredients. Then I didn't have to worry so much about messing it up. And it turned out fine. Now, that I look back at it I can't believe that I took that on so early, with hardly any experience. But, I got that out of the way and under my belt.

~Mindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%