Nervous! From Real Job To Dream Job...

Decorating By stsapph Updated 15 May 2008 , 1:26am by stsapph

stsapph Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 17

Ok, so I have been offered a full time position at a catering company as their pastry chef. I know this isn't my dream of having my own bakery, but it is definitely a step in the right direction and the owner is willing to teach me things I would never try at home. However, to have this wonderful job, I must give up my stable and secure job icon_cry.gif (just look at my quote and I'm sure you can figure it out! icon_wink.gif ) I am planning on handing in my resignation today, but am worried about the future. Don't get me wrong, I am also very very excited, but this is probably the first rash decision I have made since I got married (the whole thinking about the family thing). So, I guess this all boils down to, what has been everyone else's experience making the jump from real world to dream job and finally doing what you love? All in all, all I really want to do is do a little happy dance, so I guess thats what I'm gonna do! icon_biggrin.gif

Amber

16 replies
tiptop57 Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 17

The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become. ~Charles DuBois

Security can hold you back from learning how to fly. Let go and fly. icon_wink.gif

Ironbaker Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:52pm
post #3 of 17

How often do you get the chance to realize your dreams? Go for it and the best of luck to you!

Now where's your quote? icon_lol.gif

stsapph Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 17

Hmm... looks like my quote disappeared. so here it is!:

I have a half caf, quad venti, 2 pump almond, 5 pump mocha, nonfat, with whip latte ready at the bar!! (you think I'm kidding?) icon_biggrin.gif

Any guesses? icon_wink.gif

So I just got back from giving my notice, and it went really well. Now I am really really excited!! Dream job here I come!

pastryjen Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 17

Congrats...I bet there are a ton of people here who would like to be in your position right now.

KoryAK Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 17

Question... so you are a barista? Well, then honey GO FOR IT. Theres nothing wrong with being a barista, but its not a career! icon_smile.gif

ericaann79 Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 17

I'm guessing manager at Starbucks...if so you can always go back to that if your dream escapes you!

Cakebelle Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 17

Take the leap, see what happens............
Good Luck at the new job! thumbs_up.gif

Yoliebean Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 17

Go Girl!!!

Better to wake up in 6 months and say "I tried it" than 20 years and say "I wish I had"

We never know unless we leap, I'm sure your safety net is there!!

Best of luck to you!

lanuevarepostera Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 17

Good luck....Let us know how it goes...

TejasRebel Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:23pm
post #11 of 17

GO! I'd give a lot to be able to get this computer off my lap (I'm supposed to be working...) and into a kitchen/bakery permanently!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

calynmom Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:30pm
post #12 of 17

My quote to you would be...

NO REGRETS !!!!

You always have us to vent to and look for advise.

I love this site. !!!!!

yummymummy Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:32pm
post #13 of 17

"Only those who risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go. "

I don't know who said it...but it's so true, and I love it! Congrats on your new evdeavor!

ceciliapopoca Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:33pm
post #14 of 17

Lucky you!!! Good luck and CONGRATS!

SugarMama602 Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:37pm
post #15 of 17

SOOOO jealous....good for you!! Everything will work out.

diane Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:32pm
post #16 of 17

go for it! thumbs_up.gif it's not every day that someone is offered a job that they love! icon_lol.gif

stsapph Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #17 of 17

Well, I have officially accepted the job and start the first of June!! yay Happy dance!! I am oh so excited. Thank you to all that have helped to sustain my going forward with this decision. For something that seems so obvious, it can be so hard! I truly admire and look up to everyone that has gone before me and made this decision, and has lived to tell about. I can't wait to continue on this great, and often delicious, journey! Happy baking, decorating and just plain creating to everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%