Fmm Multi Ribbon Cutter...

Decorating By Amy729 Updated 15 May 2008 , 2:20am by knel

Amy729 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 13

Has anyone used this? I have the wilton cutter/embosser tool and it drives me mad. I was hoping someone had tried the FMM cutter and could tell me if it is any better.

Thanks!
Amy icon_smile.gif

12 replies
vdrsolo Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:52pm
post #2 of 13

I have it, it works awesome.

But I will be honest with you, I actually didn't have that much trouble with the Wilton cutter ( never used it for embossing, just cutting straight lines). Once I had it tightened, I backed it off a small turn (same needs to be done with the FMM)

Amy729 Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 13

With the wilton one I have a problem with it cutting a clean edge. How is the edge with the FMM?

Texas_Rose Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:46am
post #4 of 13

All I have so far is the Wilton one, and I don't get smooth edges with it either...but I've found a really easy way to smooth them. I have a yellow plastic tool that's really for clay http://www.rexart.com/product6034.html (it's the one in the middle, that works so well for smoothing). Anyhow, when I cut ribbons, I just slide the tool along the edges and I get a perfect edge icon_biggrin.gif

But I do wish I had a ribbon cutter that worked better, too. This is what I want to get http://www.fantes.com/images/4412pastry_cutters.jpg

vdrsolo Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy729

With the wilton one I have a problem with it cutting a clean edge. How is the edge with the FMM?

Very clean, no need to go back with a knife or anything.

DianeLM Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

But I do wish I had a ribbon cutter that worked better, too. This is what I want to get http://www.fantes.com/images/4412pastry_cutters.jpg

I got that and hated it. The spacing between the wheels is not even, so it's awful for ribbon loops. Up to 1/4" difference, which is a pretty big deal when making bows. I contacted Ateco and believe it or not, they opened several boxes to measure the spacing and they were all uneven.

superstar Posted 14 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 13

The FMM cutter is great, works really well.

Rosie2 Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 13

Quick question...what is the name of the FMM cutter? and where do I find it? and, is the Wilton cutter the one that comes with several wheels? I think I have it, but don't know how to use it icon_redface.gif

Thank you to all!

tonedna Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 13

I like the Wilton..you do need not to put the screw too tight so it rolls easy and some pressure when you cut!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Bossy Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:57pm
post #10 of 13

I found a pastry cutter on ebay that cuts multiple strips at the same time (adjustable to size them) for $20. Love it!

JenniferMI Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 13

I LOVE the FMM ribbon cutter, use it ALL the time!

I know where you can get a good deal on one, too! E-mail me at:
[email protected]

Jen icon_smile.gif

vdrsolo Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:01am
post #12 of 13
knel Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:20am
post #13 of 13

I have the Wilton ribbon cutter, and I hated it at first... I figured out that if you hold the handle completely upright while rolling it, it cuts MUCH MUCH better and actually gives a clean cut. Also, it helps a little to chill the fondant for a few minutes prior to cutting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%