Pls Help Me Settle This Discussion With My Mom

Decorating By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 14 May 2008 , 12:39pm by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:07am
post #1 of 19

do you put yeast in cakes?

i have a problem with my cakes. they don't rise as much as i would like. they probably rise like 10% from how tall the cake batter is. i think it's my baking powder. i'm going to buy a new one tomorrow or the next chance i get to go to the grocery store.

however my mother keeps telling me to use yeast. for my cakes. is this even possible? i have never seen yeast as an ingredient in cakes, not in any of the recipes i have tried. i add yeast when i bake bread, that's it.

please help me settle this with my mom. i really want her to read it here too.

thanks!

18 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:11am
post #2 of 19

I've never put yeast in a cake.

Actually, I can taste the yeast in bread and pastries, when it's there, so I would assume I'd taste it in someone else's cake if it was there, and I never have.

I have a couple of classic cookbooks (where I get my really good, fattening recipes) and I'll take a look and see if any of those cakes have yeast in them, after I get my kiddo up and packed off to school.

HerBoudoir Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:31am
post #3 of 19

You almost never see yeast used in cakes. I think the only times I've seen it is in some very old/rare/traditional cake recipes.

You can try new baking powder and baking soda to get yours to rise more; also another issue is if you are not bringing your eggs up to room temperature or not beating them in properly (eggs add a lot of "lift" as well).

Just for comparison, try making a box mix to see how that rises.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:51am
post #4 of 19

thanks guys! i will make my mom read this icon_biggrin.gif

i'll buy new baking powder as soon as i can. there's a storm here and it's just crazy.

Texas_Rose Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:56am
post #5 of 19

There's probably a date on the bottom of your baking powder.

It's funny, I know how to proof yeast, but I have no idea if there's a way to see if baking powder is still good icon_biggrin.gif

I was thinking of something...how's your oven? When mine was starting to mess up, my cupcakes weren't as tall as usual. I know when you're baking a regular cake if you want it to bake flatter and not domed, you lower the temp...so maybe you could check your oven with an oven thermometer and see if it's getting as hot as it should be.

Mike1394 Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:09pm
post #6 of 19

No yeast. To check your baking powder. Get some HOT tap water, and put a tble spoon in. It should bubble like crazy. If not it's bad.

Mike

Mike1394 Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:10pm
post #7 of 19

No yeast. The yeast would go icon_surprised.gif by eating all the sugar. To check your baking powder. Get some HOT tap water, and put a tble spoon in. It should bubble like crazy. If not it's bad.

Mike

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:22pm
post #8 of 19

i will try that mike. thanks.

thing is, Texas_Rose, when i make cupcakes, they dome perfectly. but when i make cakes i get domed tops but the sides don't rise. when i use baking strips the cake doesn't dome but it doesn't rise either. icon_sad.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:24pm
post #9 of 19

Scratch cakes or box mix?

foxymomma521 Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 19

Baking powder should always be replaced about 6 months after it is opened thumbs_up.gif , it loses its power over time.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:28pm
post #11 of 19

i only use box mix for cupcakes so far. all my cakes are from scratch. but even when i made cupcakes from scratch they would dome pretty well.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 19

i just tested my baking powder and it bubbled over like crazy, so i guess that means it's still working.

now am even more perplexed. icon_sad.gif

Cake_Princess Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:35pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

i just tested my baking powder and it bubbled over like crazy, so i guess that means it's still working.

If it's still bubbling it's still good. Even if it only bubbles a little it's still good just not as potent as a freshly opened container.

Was your cake pan too large for the amount of batter you had?

Was the temperature of the oven too low? If it's too low it will not activate the baking powder to it's fullest potential.

Did you beat the batter long enough?

Are you measuring your ingredients correctly? Using dry measuring cups for dry stuff and liquid measuring cups for liquids? Leveling off ingredients? etc?

BlakesCakes Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:48pm
post #14 of 19

Where are you baking? Is it a high altitude/mountain location-- a place 5000 feet above sea level or more? That can greatly impact most cake recipes and you may need to adjust because of it.

Just a thought.
Rae

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:32am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake_Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

If it's still bubbling it's still good. Even if it only bubbles a little it's still good just not as potent as a freshly opened container.

Was your cake pan too large for the amount of batter you had?

Was the temperature of the oven too low? If it's too low it will not activate the baking powder to it's fullest potential.

Did you beat the batter long enough?

Are you measuring your ingredients correctly? Using dry measuring cups for dry stuff and liquid measuring cups for liquids? Leveling off ingredients? etc?

I *believe* i'm measuring my ingredients correctly. i hope i am LOL

the oven temp is 325 because i kept reading people use that temp to bake.

it could be that my batter is too little but when i put more batter in one pan (i only have a 9" round pan btw) the center never gets done even if the top already has a crust. also when i used baking strips and filled my pans 2/3 the sides never cooked.

i'm not on high altitude either.

this is so confusing for me. maybe i should stick to cupcakes, huh? icon_sad.gif

HerBoudoir Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:53am
post #16 of 19

The other thing to do is to check your oven temp to see that what you're setting it at is the temp it's actually getting to....use an oven thermometer for a bit and see what's going on there.

peanut123 Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:10pm
post #17 of 19

Normally you do not put yeast in cakes.

Having said thatâ¦
You can make certain cakes using yeast. One of my favorites is Baba Au Rhum.

The link that follows has a photo of the cake: http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Cakes/BabaCake.htm

leah_s Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:13pm
post #18 of 19

I'm voting that the oven temp is off. Time to check with an oven thermometer.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:39pm
post #19 of 19

i agree with you all. now if only i can have spare cash to buy one. my pc chose this week to just die and i had to buy a new power supply. the day after i came back from a trip with my brothers that i had to pay for all by myself. ugh. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%