Mini Taco Cakes

Decorating By t00precious Updated 14 May 2008 , 1:35am by chassidyg

t00precious Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:33am
post #1 of 9

Here is the picture. Really need to know how to make the taco shell. Please help. Found this here on CC. Please Help! Is the shell candy clay or what?
LL

8 replies
mgigglin Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:38am
post #2 of 9

I remember seeing it in the gallery but I don't remember what she said she did. You can always try pm'ing the creator and ask. I've found that CC'ers are kind and generous with sharing information.

Good luck,
Kim

t00precious Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:27am
post #3 of 9

I did private message the creators and no one responded. So, I was hoping someone out there could still help me.

mgigglin Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:39am
post #4 of 9

I bet you could color some fondant or do white chocolate clay? The white choc clay would be yummy! I just learned about chocolate clay which was melting chocolate and adding corn syrup. sorry I can't remember the measurements but it was a Wilton recipe so you should be able to find it in the recipe section on their site. Once you make the clay and let it firm up, you roll it out like fondant. Do you have something that you could use to hold them up and keep their taco shape? That might work?

HTH,

Kim

MaryAtk Posted 13 May 2008 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 9

I have made taco cupcakes, and I used candy melts for the shell, with a little black sugar mixed in for the specks.

judylynnturner Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 9

This is for large shells, but I am sure you could just make smaller circles...

For "taco shells" - melt white candy melts in microwave, according to directions on package. Use 1/3 of bag at a time to avoid too much re-heating of melts. Add yellow food coloring to melted candy until it looks the color of a taco shell. Crumble two chocolate cookies(wafer only if using Oreo brand)and add approx. 1/4 tsp. to each bowl of melted candies. Mix. Should look like roasted cornmeal flecks in taco shells.

Forgot the other half of the directions!!!! icon_redface.gif

Pour melted candy on to waxed paper, approx. 1/4 cup. Spread in circular motion to desired size. Place another sheet of waxed paper over candy. Wait 15-30 seconds for candy to begin to set up. Fold candy/paper over a real taco shell so candy can set in the appropriate shape. Do not do this step too soon as the cooling candy will fall away from the 'fold' and your shell will break. Let stand approx. 10 minutes.

JudyDP Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 9

Hi...I googled it and came up with this.......scroll down and there are some good pictures, etc. Good Luck!!! HTH

(If all else fails.....I "google"......) icon_lol.gif

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/how-to-make-cakes.html#c2

Mom2LiamandQuinn Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:43am
post #8 of 9

I've made these too (they are in my photos). I actually traced a real corn tortilla onto wax paper, spread the candy melts in the circle, and then placed my cake in, folded it over and put in the freezer. This gives the shells and irregular look, more like "real" fried shells. Oh, for the cake I use the pumpkin mini pan and cut them in half, so they are flat half moon shapes.

chassidyg Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:35am
post #9 of 9

They are actually in a wilton yearbook......gotta look....

Yay!! Found it....

Wilton Cupcake fun yearbook.

page 18

Make taco shells. Trace pattern on paper, cover with waxed paper. Combine melted yellow candy with a little melted cocoa candy for yellow shown. And black sugar for specks. Using melted candy in cut parchement bag outline and pipe in pattern, smooth with spatula. Position cupcake piece slightly below top edge of taco; lift paper to fold over cupcake piece, forming shell. refrigerate till firm. peel off paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%