How Do I Make A 3D Graduation Cap?

Decorating By ness-p Updated 16 May 2008 , 7:12am by ness-p

ness-p Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ness-p Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:17am
post #1 of 14

Yea it might sound a little silly but how do i make a 3d graduation cap that will sit on top of a sheet cake?

How do i make it so that it will not sink in or something?

Ideas or tips are greatly appreciated

13 replies
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:27am
post #2 of 14

I'd make a little dome cake for the bottom part of cap, and for the mortar baord I'd use a bit of stiff cardboard covered with MMF or the like, so it's not so heavy. Put a covered button on top and hang tassle - should work for you!

Best of luck! icon_wink.gif

CakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBaker Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 14
foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBaker

Here's one easy way: http://www.ktka.com/videos/2008/may/13/19666/

Thanks! That was great!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 14

Oh, wait... that was you?! Good for you for being on TV!

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the link I was just thinking of posted a how to on this! icon_smile.gif
Jen...

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 14

there is a template here on CC. it is listed in the gallery under templates and patterns. I just used it and it worked perfectly!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBaker

Here's one easy way: http://www.ktka.com/videos/2008/may/13/19666/

Thanks so much for sharing. I like the size of that graduation hat. I've made the one with the (full size) half ball and that one is too big for some cakes. I want to try yours. icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:04pm
post #9 of 14

thanks for the link!!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:07pm
post #10 of 14

ness_p: if you look in my gallery I just did one.. it is blue with a white tassel. Here is how I did it... this is if you want an edible mini one to put on a sheet cake or tiered cake (as I did)

I took a standard sized square napkin and placed it over rolled out satin ice (or any fondant) and cut its shape with a sharp knife. Placed it on wax paper to dry (I put tons of powdered sugar on the surface of my cutting area so it would slide off to the wax paper.) I baked 2 layers in my wilton mini fill pans. I iced them with bc and let them sit until crusted then smoothed them with the Melvira method. My mortar board (square described above) dried for 4 days until it was stiff. I then placed it on top of the mini round cake with bit of buttercream beneath it. For the dot on the mortar board, I used a ball of smooshed satin ice. For the tassel I used Chocopan (a softer chocolate based fondant) and put it through a garlic press. You will have to keep adding chocopan or comparable product in small portions to your garlic press to get the length you want to achieve. I never took any of the tassel out of the press until I was at the length I needed... I then airbrushed the royal blue of the school colors and affixed the chocopan tassel to the hat. I hope this helps you out or is something some others can use! Good luck, it is easy!

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 15 May 2008 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 14

and you know to use cake boards under the cap and a support system in the bottom cake.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 15 May 2008 , 9:13pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaah

and you know to use cake boards under the cap and a support system in the bottom cake.

Honestly, it shouldn't be heavy enough to require this. It's not like you're sticking an entire 6" cake on top.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:53pm
post #13 of 14

The way I did it was I made a strip of gp about 3 inches wide and brought the ends together... I let it dry like that... measured how large I needed the mortar board and cut it out of gp.. let it dry for 3 days .. and put it together with gum glue icon_smile.gif

ness-p Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ness-p Posted 16 May 2008 , 7:12am
post #14 of 14

icon_lol.gif Awesome! thank you so much for your responses. and thank you sugarbakerz and cakebaker.... Your tips and ideas help me out alot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%