Is It Just Me...

Decorating By lilacc01 Updated 13 May 2008 , 10:07pm by lilacc01

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:43am
post #1 of 20

...or does this annoy anyone else? I get a fair number of PMs asking me questions about my cakes and I take the time to give everyone a detailed answer. That's not the annoying part. I love helping others and I ask for help myself when I need it. What bothers me is that I RARELY get a thank you! Is is too much to expect a quick thanks after I write out a mini novel? I think it is good manners...

19 replies
OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:48am
post #2 of 20

No hun it's not too much to expect a thank you in return for your help and guidance! You take the time to write out directions or steps or tips and tricks for someone trying to recreate your cakes and the least they can do is say thank you...

I've asked a few people for directions or at the very least little tips and tricks for recreating their cakes and each and every time I've said thank you... you're right it is good manners and nothing more icon_wink.gif

It's basically do unto others icon_wink.gif If you'd expect a thank you in return that's the least you can do when someone helps you icon_wink.gif I feel your annoyance hun!

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:57am
post #3 of 20

I rarely have people ask me questions, but I've asked more than my share. I always try to say thank you. I think it's just good manners. Unfortunately, I've noticed a general lack of courtesy in society in general. Even my 2 year old knows to say please and thank you for even the smallest things.

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 20

No, it's not just you. A quick "thanks" would be great. I just want to know they got my message and whether it helped them or not.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 20

i had something similar happen just recently and i actually had some one post that it's not "required" to say thanks or where you got inspiration (as in my case) but i think you should acknowlege that you recieved an answer to your question-most people are busy too i know but you found time to ask the question, someone replied, find the time to say thanks... thanks

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesArt

i had something similar happen just recently and i actually had some one post that it's not "required" to say thanks or where you got inspiration (as in my case) but i think you should acknowlege that you recieved an answer to your question-most people are busy too i know but you found time to ask the question, someone replied, find the time to say thanks... thanks

Actually, what I said was "It's nice to be acknowledged, but not required." regarding you seeing a "newbie's" cake with your design.
I NEVER said you shouldn't be thanked for helping someone.

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 20

I would NEVER dream of not saying thank you after someone has taken the time to answer my feeble questions...I say "thank you" to all you ladies (and gentlemen) who have been slighted on behalf of all the lame-o's who don't have the courtesy to be grateful for using up someone else's time and talent!

ashcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashcake Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 20

I haven't had any one ask me questions. But I have asked several for help. I always "try" to say thank you. Sometimes I forget if I done it or not. So I never mean to be rude. I always want to thank people for help. So if I haven't said thank you to someone, I'm sorry, and THANK YOU! The would isn't a very courtesy anymore. My two year old also says thank you. Sometimes for something you didn't even do, just being there.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MosMom

No, it's not just you. A quick "thanks" would be great. I just want to know they got my message and whether it helped them or not.

Ditto. Sometimes you spend a lot of time giving detailed instructions. When I don't recieve a thanks for my time it makes me think a person is rude, so it would only benefit a person to write a short and simple "thanks!" to avoid getting a bad rep, if only from my perspective.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #10 of 20

Whenever I PM someone I always tell them thank you and have had most people tell me thanks. That's how it should be. My 18 month old says please and thank you, adults need to remember how to do it too.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 20

I always thank who ever has helped me. It is just good manners

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:30pm
post #12 of 20

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experiences. I'm happy to report that I get A LOT of requests for help and everyone has been courteous and appreciative. It's unfortunate that there are a few unpolished folks here, but for the most part, I think the CC community has lovely manners. icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:32pm
post #13 of 20

I get alot of requests and have almost always gotten great emails in reply.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 20

I have been thinking the same myself. I am pretty uptight about manners at the best of time so it drives me nuts when I don't get a quick thanks for replies to PM's. I am not expecting a grovelling nose in the dirt "I am not worthy" sort of reply, I just want an confirmation that the fact I took time to respond was of some help and was appreciated.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #15 of 20

Sorry, I just want to clarify that most people are polite and do send a thank-you. Don't want to tar everyone with the same brush and offend the nice people who do. But there are a few who don't, and I guess that is often what you remember. I also had a few requests for information which are so abrupt it almost feels like I am being ordered to give up the info - or else!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #16 of 20

I try to always thank the person with an email or PM that has helped me with a technique, etc. So I don't think you are being unreasonable at all in expecting a follow-up.
I tend to also thank them in the comment section when I post the finished cake. Sometimes I will send the person a picture of the cake that they helped me out with.
In general, I think people like to know that they helped someone out and a quick little note of thanks, while not expected, is just a nice gesture on the part of the one that received the help. Just my opinion!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:47pm
post #17 of 20

If I expect someone to want to help me next time, I had better thank them the first time! That's just the selfish reason to show gratitute, never mind good ol' manners...

I hope, if I ever forget to write a thank you, that I did not insult anyone, I usually thank ppl, but maybe I forgot

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:52pm
post #18 of 20

Well, I'm going to be odd man out here, but I don't sit on pins and needles waiting for a thanks or an acknowledgement. It's not important to me. I don't offer my help for the glory .... my thanks is that the person pass it on and help the next person down the line who needs help.

So don't sweat it .... I'm not keeping a scoresheet! icon_wink.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:23pm
post #19 of 20

Oh gosh I hope I have been courteous enough to say thank you.. and usually have a wonderful day or something to that effect. But sometimes people have something happen in their life that they have to not come on cc for awhile.. therefore sometimes makes it impossible to remember to thank everybody. But I am sure people mean well. I don't get many people wanting any instruction from me (and who would blame them LOL) BUT.. everybody that has has been as courteous as I think they should be. (In my case anyways)

If I haven't thanked somebody for their instructions or helpfulness it was by accident. AND I am truly sorry icon_sad.gif

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:07pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

I have been thinking the same myself. I am pretty uptight about manners at the best of time so it drives me nuts when I don't get a quick thanks for replies to PM's. I am not expecting a grovelling nose in the dirt "I am not worthy" sort of reply, I just want an confirmation that the fact I took time to respond was of some help and was appreciated.

That pretty much sums it up for me! Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%