Do You Use Powdered Sugar, Corn Starch Or Shortening?

Decorating By Dee1219 Updated 13 May 2008 , 11:49am by lainalee

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:59am
post #1 of 15

Which do you use for rolling out your fondant and why do you like it that way?

14 replies
Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:19am
post #2 of 15

I like shortening. It keeps my mmf pliable and nice to use and I don't have a bunch of powered sugar to brush off my fondant, especially black fondant!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:43am
post #3 of 15

I use crisco if I'm rolling out enough to cover a cake, or tops for cupcakes.

If I'm making flowers, I use cornstarch.

If you like using something powdery, for black or chocolate MMF, you can use cocoa powder.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:56am
post #4 of 15

Originally I used powdered sugar, but I hated the way it felt on my hands, especially if they begin to sweat when it's warm - they get sticky! Yuk! thumbsdown.gif

So I've switched to cornstarch and like that much better. But if I want a sheen or if I feel my fondant already has enough powder (sugar) in it, etc. I'll sometimes use Crisco. I think it's more a mental thing though for me - you use flour if you're rolling out dough, so my first instinct is powder even for a sugar dough.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:13am
post #5 of 15

I use any of the above, depending upon which paste I am rolling and the weather outside. You really can't go by what we use. All this depends upon the speed in which you work, your environment (humid, dry?) and your work surface.

I suggest that you experiment with all three, and see which works best for you. You may find that on different types of days, you need to use different products.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:18am
post #6 of 15

I used powdered sugar, but I noticed that when I cover a square cake the edges cracks. Then I start using shortening and I didn't have any problem after that. It gives the fondant a really nice shine too. I never have used cornstarch.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:30am
post #7 of 15

I use crisco. I'm still new at rolling fondant and find I''m a bit slow at it, so the crisco helps w/ drying out., But if I notice it's getting to sticky, I 'll use some PS. thumbs_up.gif

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:38am
post #8 of 15

I use shortening for the same reasons; it keeps the fondant smooth and pliable with less "elephant" skin issues thumbs_up.gif

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:51am
post #9 of 15

I use shortening to keep the fondant smooth and piable. Corn start and powdered sugar tend to dry it out and cause it to crack

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:05am
post #10 of 15

Ok, I love hearing how other people do things, I have never used the crisco, but I am going to give it a shot! Thanks!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:10am
post #11 of 15

I've used both and I found that to me personally I like shorting I tend to use to much powdered sugar and it dries out my fondant especially for figures they start to crack when I use shorting I just rub a small amount on my hands and it works out great.

Molly2 icon_smile.gif

Michele25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michele25 Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:17am
post #12 of 15

Great thread!! Thanks for the tips! thumbs_up.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:29am
post #13 of 15

I like shortening because no matter how hard I try I can NOT get the powdered sugar off the finished product. It drives me NUTS!

Julia

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:37am
post #14 of 15

I use the crisco or powdered sugar.

When I do my flowers I roll it thin with crisco and then rub my finger over the petals with the sugar...I hate when mine stick to the rolling toll when I try to thin them out. I lightly brush the petals with vanilla when done to get rid of the sugar, flowers end up with a nice shine to them.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:49am
post #15 of 15

I've been using both (at the same time). Mixing cornstarch with powder sugar, and sprinkling on mat over the crisco. also some on top of the fondant, then crisco on my hands and roller. These were the instructions from Yummy Arts that I was following. Sometimes it works great, but sometimes, it just keeps getting almost to pliable to the point that it won't hold a nice shape (droopy roses etc.)or harden at room temp when I need it to. So which should I be leaving out when this happens? It also seems worse when I add coloring.
TIA

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%