The Leaning Tower Of Bender

Decorating By butterflywings Updated 21 May 2008 , 2:28am by ANicole

butterflywings Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:58am
post #1 of 9

Ok... I know WHY he was such a disaster: MIL came into town, BBQ on Saturday, pressed for time, trying to do 95% of prep and ALL of cake stuff myself. I'm going to attempt to post the pic of Bender the Robot - I opted to just do his head, instead of his whole body because I knew I wasn't going to have time for the elaborate plans I had in my head.

First, I tried to put the fondant on in two pieces (people started arriving for the party WHILE I was working GAH!) and there's a visible seam. Second, I didn't have time to let the layers settle (therefore the LEANING. And third... I did NOT allow myself enough time to do ANYTHING! HA!

But the good news is that everyone at the party thought he looked GREAT (I know better) and he did taste fabulous (I can bake the hell outta some cake, even if I can't decorate it well yet! LOL)
LL

8 replies
JanH Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:52am
post #2 of 9

(We are our own worst critics.) icon_cry.gif

I had no problem discerning that your cake was from Futurama (although I didn't know the character's name). thumbs_up.gif

None of my decorated cakes have been perfect (not even close) but my family & friends are always happy to receive them (and especially to eat them). icon_biggrin.gif

HTH

Housemouse Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:36am
post #3 of 9

please think if it less as a 'leaning' cake and more as being true to the original animation.

I love this cake (we love Futurama!) and as Jan H says, we're are own worst critics no-one noticed and it tasted great! That's what's important

H Mouse.

cheeseball Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 9

What is it that he always says about himself? "Bender is great!" Thanks - this gives me an idea for my brothers when I get back home to Greensboro! thumbs_up.gif

KoryAK Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 9

I would have put an empty beer next to it and called it drunk bender lol

seriously tho, it still looks good. Maybe next time put the fondant on front and back and then you can add rivets to the seam and make it robot-esque. Is that one cake all the way up or is it 2 or 3 separate cakes carboarded and doweled and iced as one? Cause thats what I would have done.

butterflywings Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 9

It is 2 (3 layer each) 6" rounds with the third "tier" being 2 layers of 6" rounds plus 1/2 of the sports ball. Yes, I boarded & doweled between each "tier" and even had a center dowel (just one of the bigger bamboo skewers) which was easier to do than I thought. I think the real problem was he wasn't given enough time to settle. (had my MIL or her stupid boyfriend offered to help with party prep - as hubby said they probably would - there would have been PLENTY of time = but c'est la vie).

Kory, I hadn't thought of piecing front to back... I'll give that a try next time (though hopefully it will be a LOOOOONG time before I do bender again).

and cheeseball... D'oh! You're soooo right... I should have grabbed an empty beer bottle!!! Dang! LOL Next time!

Auryn Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 9

bender is always 9 sheets to the wind
you were being true to his character.

great job on the coloring of the fondant

MeMo07 Posted 13 May 2008 , 8:43pm
post #8 of 9

I love Futurama/Bender- It looks awesome! icon_smile.gif

ANicole Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:28am
post #9 of 9

He's adorable!

Quote by @%username% on %date%