I Don't Think I'll Ever Do An Airplane Cake Again! Lol

Decorating By suzted7 Updated 13 May 2008 , 3:05pm by SugarBakerz

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:59am
post #1 of 13

Well.....I'm exhausted and I'm hungry! LOL Two things I've felt for the last 2 days. Besides going to bed at night and the occasional break to just sit down and stare at the boobtube....it's been non-stop on this cake!
I need everyones expert opinion on this. How much would all of you charge for this cake? It's chocolate cake (starts around 3-inches from the nose of the plane and goes all the way to the tail) and styrofoam with fondant accents. The small cake is fondant with fondant accents and alittle bit of BC decor. I also added "runway" lights! icon_wink.gif I've never worked harder and of course I'm only maybe 85% satisfied with it! I'm my own worst critic! Please be honest and let me know what all of you think about how it looks and how much its worth! THANKS!!!
LL
LL

12 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:02am
post #2 of 13

priceless

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:06am
post #3 of 13

Minimum $400

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:07am
post #4 of 13

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif WOW icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

This is amazing! What great work! I bet your dragging yourself on the floor after this one icon_surprised.gif Your crazy, you should be 200% satisfied! This cake looks like it could be a few hundred dollars easy. WOW, amazing!
All you need now is your own personal stewartess to pour you a stiff drink! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:09am
post #5 of 13

Very well done! I don't have the nerve to try a plane. I'm impressed. thumbs_up.gif

NanaFixIt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaFixIt Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:11am
post #6 of 13

OMG - that's incredible! Geoff (Ace of Cakes) would be proud!!

I'm sorry I don't sell cakes so I can't help with the pricing, but your technique is impeccable! I think you're being way too hard on yourself. I say step back and take a bow!

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:24am
post #7 of 13

Oh, cute, cute, cute! Love it. When I do cakes like that, I get so worked up, and say NEVER AGAIN AM I GOING TO DO THIS TO MYSELF! And then I see the finished product, and I am so proud...and of course, I always go right back to doing another one in a few days. haha I just did a HUGE castle this weekend, and I said, "I hate this....I will never do this again..." and then when it was done, I was so proud...there were things I wanted to change, but overall it was really good. Just like yours...you did GREAT!

Now, what to charge? That is something I always struggle with. I never have the nerve to charge what I am worth. I think that cake is worth $400, but I would never have the nerve to charge that. I'd probably end up saying more like $175, but I know that's not nearly enough. Definitely add up what you've got in it, and then pay yourself well for your time.

SugarLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLand Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:24am
post #8 of 13

I love it! No idea how much to charge tho.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:26am
post #9 of 13

OMG!!! That is freakin' awesome!!!! My husband is an air trafic controller and he LOVED it!!!! Waaayy cool cake!!!!
Price???
How long is it?
How many will it feed?
Maybe like a couple hundred bucks at least.....way to go!!!!!!

suzted7 Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:37am
post #10 of 13

Wow....guys.....thank you SOOO much! You've made me feel Sooooo much better! I'm smiling ear to ear with all the compliments. It DOES make it worth while when your "peers" think you've done good! BTW..... the plane was 2 ft 9 inches wing to wing! I forgot to measure front to back but it looks about the same!! Again....thanks for making me feel good...what a great way to end my night!!

suzted7 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:54pm
post #11 of 13

A couple of people thought the lights were actually candles. They are battery-operated mini-lights. I just punched holes thru the board and taped them in place!

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:05pm
post #12 of 13

I think it is great. WAYYY beyond my talent!!!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:05pm
post #13 of 13

amazing cake, your detail is awesome... I agree NLT $400..... 2 days is a long time and it shows in your workmanship! Great job, be proud... who knows this could be your signature cake from now on icon_smile.gif

lilmansmum..... the avatar is so cute.... it reminds me of my little girl who is now 5. She was born with TONS of hair and she always wore "piggy sticks" (what we called them) like those of I am assuming your DD in the picture... priceless picture!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%