Wedding Cake Base What Do You Use?

Decorating By LusciousCakes Updated 13 May 2008 , 12:34am by lovinkakes

LusciousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LusciousCakes Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hello Everyone

I am making my first Wedding Cake for my Niece in early August. It will be a fondant covered 12 9 6 cake. This site is such a wonderful source of information and I have learned so much already but I am wondering what everyone uses for their cake base. Are those 1/2 in. silver cake bases from Wilton really strong enough or do you build your own? I just made myself a 12 in. 4 1/2 in. high fondant covered [ Michele Foster's] Mothers Day cake for practice and it weighed a ton!

Thanks Leona

4 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 5

Look at the silver cake plateaus at cakesbysam.com, or rent one.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:16am
post #3 of 5

I make my own cardboard drums, either 3 or 4 layers thick. It's plenty strong, you just have to make sure and alternate the directions of the corrugated lines to maximize its strength. Just tape the cardboard rounds together and wrap with foil. Here's how it looks:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=124573

Also, Lowe's sells a round wooden base for about $10.00 that I will use if I'm sure I'm going to get it back. Here's an example:

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=61439

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:23am
post #4 of 5

I like that wooden base kellym, I think Hobby Lobby has something like that with feet. I love that pink or peach cake too.

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:34am
post #5 of 5

Yup, lowe's wood bases. Circles come in sizes like 12", 16", 18" lower and higher. Cover with fondant (cover with plastic wrap first). Then wrap with (my ribbon of choice) grosgrain 7/8" ribbon. (boards are 3/4"). Love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%